AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lot of research, I finally took the plunge and bought my Denon AVR-1910. Looks awesome; haven't set it up yet.

Need recommendations for speakers to go with this system. My budget is $800 max for a 5.1 speaker system (7.1 is out of question due to room size and layout). My family room is 22x15x12 and is carpeted with heavy cherry-wood furniture.

Looked at Klipsch and DefTech. BB has clearance on Klipsch Quintet SL for about $350 (orig. msrp $799). Plus, Klipsch Sub-12 is another $399. Total package is $749. DefTech ProCinema is 5.1 system for $799. Both sound good to me, but sounds like Klipsch may be a better deal. What do you guys think?

Any other speaker or sub recommendations? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Both are rather small systems and similar. The better deal is the one you like better quite frankly, even though the Quintets look like a good deal on paper. Try listening again with music or movies that you know.

Both seem to be liked by users.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
If you want cherry wood speakers look at the ELT 525 package from av123dotcom. Cant provide links to the site.

$699 inlcluding shipping for two towers, two bookshelf speakers and a center.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16961139

If you want cherry wood speakers look at the ELT 525 package from av123dotcom. Cant provide links to the site.

$699 inlcluding shipping for two towers, two bookshelf speakers and a center.

Thanks for the suggestion. Great looking speakers and I am sure they are great value too. However, they are too big for my room. Can't mess up the room decor; wife would kill me
)

Can you recommend something smaller? How are DefTechs ProCinema 600 or 800? I know it all depends on what I like, but which one are better quality - DefTech or Klipsch Quintet.

The reason I ask is because, they both are costing me the same (w/ sub), so I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Appreciate all inputs.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I prefer the Def Techs to the Klipsch. My dad has a set of the older Pro Cinema and it sounds pretty good for the money. But you should really listen to each system to see what YOU like. Both are fine as far as quality goes.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I'll quote my own suggestion from the 1910 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16960894

more appropriate for the speaker forum.... but if you have wood furniture, and since it sounds like you are looking for a "compact" system I would HIGHLY recommend the Energy RC-Mini's which are on sale at an excellent price of $99 shipped each from Vann's in the cherry finish:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...i_c=ss_suggest

It's a real wood veneer and the build quality is very high, it looks like high-end furniture. They have a package deal for 5.1 speakers (4 RC-Mini's and an RC-Mini center) for $699, but the sub with that package is pretty weak -- if you call up Vann's I bet they can hook you up with a similar package with a beefier sub for your $800 budget.

PS - you can get a much better sub than the Klipsch Sub12 for $400. It's probably really competitive with $200-250 type subs like the BIC F12 or PA-120.

seems to fit the budget and wife factor -- small and tasteful with a really nice wood veneer. They come with their own wall-mount as well which allows them to be "aimed" pretty easily.

couple of pictures of the cherry finish (from the Energy owner's thread):

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I hooked up my AVR-790 with my Klipsch Quintet SL (I bought from BB to test out). Not sure if I will keep these speakers; still evaluating.

Here are some my observations and questions about AVR-790 receiver:

1. I know it has upscaling to 1080p. I have my DirectTV HD box (output 720p) to one of the HDMI inputs. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but would this get upscaled to 1080p? If yes, then something is wrong with my receiver because it is not upconverting. If it will not upconvert a 720p DirectTV signal via HDMI, then what's the use anyway (for me at least) since my other video source is 1080p upconverting DVD player.

2. The picture quality from my upconverting DVD player has diminished when I use the HDMI connections via receiver. Connecting the DVD player directly to TV seems to give better picture. Is this normal?

3. Pardon my limited knowledge, but I guess the PLIIx,z etc. would only work with 7.1 setup, not 5.1 setup - right? If I have a 5.1 setup, am I really gaining anything with this receiver? To my ears, it sounds almost same as my 5 yr old Onkyo receiver. Am I missing something here?

I am wondering if AVR-790 is an overkill for my needs. Since I have a 5.1 system, perhaps I should I should downgrade to AVR-590. Any thoughts? Thanks all for your inputs.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
If you've got a 1080p TV, set your DirecTV box to 1080i, that way ithe TV or receiver doesn't have to upconvert, just deinterlace the signal from 1080i to 1080p.

sometimes this whole video conversion thing is overrated. Its mainly for 480i/480p sources, not high def sources.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16970377

You have to actually turn video conversion on for hdmi sources. It's not on by default.

Have you run audyssey? Without audyssey it will indeed sound like most any other receiver.

Yes, I did run Audyssey to setup my receiver with Klipsch Quintet SL sepakers. It didn't sound any better than my 5yr old Onkyo receiver with same speakers.

I did turn on the upconvert feature. The specs on Denon website state that it only upconverts analog signals to HDMI. HDMI inputs are NOT upconverted to 1080p. For that, I need to move to AVR-890 model that supports HDMI-to-HDMI upscaling.

I am not sure if 780p signal upscaled to 1080p would make much of a difference on a 40" TV. I guess I will downgrade to AVR-590 instead, since I only have a 5.1 setup anyway and I don't really need such a powerful amp considering my room size and speakers. Or may be stay put with the Onkyo as I didn't see any sound improvement with Denon anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
I did turn on the upconvert feature. The specs on Denon website state that it only upconverts analog signals to HDMI. HDMI inputs are NOT upconverted to 1080p. For that, I need to move to AVR-890 model that supports HDMI-to-HDMI upscaling.

The AVR 790 absolutely supports HDMI>HDMI scaling. See pg 34 of the manual: the default setting for the "i/p scaler" is "Analog" which will only convert analog signals and leave digital signals untouched. If you change this setting to "Analog and HDMI" it will scale both analog and HDMI signals to the set output resolution. If you leave resolution on "Auto" it will automatically scale up to the highest rez your TV supports (generally 1080p).

Quote:
I am not sure if 780p signal upscaled to 1080p would make much of a difference on a 40" TV.

On that point, you are probably right. I wouldn't sweat the scaler if you are mostly watching native HD source material on a relatively small set.

On a side note, I'm pretty surprised that you don't hear a difference from the old Onkyo. Dynamic EQ is a feature which pretty dramatically alters the sound... but, all that matters is that you are happy with how it all sounds and works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts