AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time poster here. I'm the original owner of a Marantz 2270 that I purchased around the year 1975. At the time I had them paired with a pair of Acoustic Research 2ax speakers if I remember correctly. Those are long gone and with my 4 kids now out of the house I'm interested in bringing the life out of my 2270 once again. My units is currently in a shop having the power button and lights replaced. Unfortunately I let life get in the way and I haven't used the unit I'm embarrassed to say for 15 or 20 years. I never wanted to part with it as I always believed it was a classic performer for it's time and I hope will still be now.

I know that speaker selection is as much a personal thing as anything else but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone might have some suggestions for me. This will be a living room setup with I suppose limited space, although I do have room for smaller floor speakers such as the Definitive Tech BP 9020's. I'm not sure my Vintage Marantz would take advantage of the built in sub woofer. I'm not afraid to spend up to a $1000 for a pair if that is what it will take to make this sound good. For what it's worth I plan on hooking up my old turn table, a CD player, and purchase Audioengine B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver.

I did spend some time reading a thread on Definitive Tech and was a bit disturbed by the complaints mentioned towards their customer service. So I'm not sure if that is something to keep me from looking at them.

I've rambled enough. So, has anyone else been down a similar path with a vintage receiver? If yes, what did you do? Can anyone else provide some recommendations for me? I listen to a wide range of music to classic rock, symphony, big band and current pop. I've been out being an audiophile for a long time so take it easy on this old guy. :)

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I wish I still had my 2270 with my AR speakers. But all that era gear was stolen in 1979. I am using Emotiva T-2's now and a Outlaw 2160 receiver. Very happy with both.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Chane A5.5 seems a good selection for you. Wharfedate EVO, Emotiva Airmotive T1. You have been listening to a pretty restrained set-up, so I suspect you would not enjoy the more treble-forward speakers that are so common today (Klipsch, Polk, etc., etc.).

Do you have a room that is large enough to place speakers away from walls? If so, then consider the Magnepan LRS (could be a long wait) or a used Vandersteen Model 1 or 2.

I just read that some folks are replacing the caps on this receiver. You might have the engineer test yours for spec while he has the case open.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chane A5.5 seems a good selection for you. Wharfedate EVO, Emotiva Airmotive T1. You have been listening to a pretty restrained set-up, so I suspect you would not enjoy the more treble-forward speakers that are so common today (Klipsch, Polk, etc., etc.).

Do you have a room that is large enough to place speakers away from walls? If so, then consider the Magnepan LRS (could be a long wait) or a used Vandersteen Model 1 or 2.

I just read that some folks are replacing the caps on this receiver. You might have the engineer test yours for spec while he has the case open.
RayGuy,

Thanks for the recommendations and with a varied price range. I'm in the Chicago area so perhaps I can find these at a local shop once things start to open up around here. I did ask the shop to test the unit out to see if it is still running up to specs. Thanks again for your opinion and taking time to respond to my post.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
I listen to a wide range of music to classic rock, symphony, big band and current pop. I've been out being an audiophile for a long time so take it easy on this old guy. :)
If you'd like some wonderfully musical speakers to go with your vintage receiver and also sporting a nice retro "vintage" look, I would recommend the Wharfedale Dentons or Lintons.

Available at Crutchfield.com which gives you $10 flat rate returns on bookshelves...the Lintons are quite large bookshelves but I have a feeling you'll be grinning ear to ear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I still had my 2270 with my AR speakers. But all that era gear was stolen in 1979. I am using Emotiva T-2's now and a Outlaw 2160 receiver. Very happy with both.
leecreek

What a shame that your gear was stolen back in 79. I see the Emotiva T-2's are on special now at around $630 a pair. Any chance you can compare your Outlaw to your old Marantz. I know that may not be a fair question will all the time that has passed. I see your Outlaw is rated around 110 watts per channel were as the 2270 is 70 watts per channel. I did see a You Tube on the 2270 were the gentleman did a bench test on the 2270 and it was producing close to 90 watts per channel. He thought they were pretty conservative in watt ratings back in the old days.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post and for your recommendation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I own 2 Marantz 2270 as well a half a dozen other 1970 Vintage receivers. I have also owned several speakers from that same period. A few favorites were the Acoustic Research AR1, Dynaco A25 and ADS L810. All three of these were very popular and many were sold. You should be able to find any of these 3 on the used market. Of these 3, I would go with the Dynaco. Another great recommendation is the original Klipsch Heresy, produced since 1950s. I have a pair, 1970s vintage, that I will always hang on to.

If not interested in vintage speakers, your choices are nearly limitless

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Probably best to stay away from 4ohm speakers unless the unit has been completely gone through (and even then, not so sure I'd do that anyways). I use 8 and 6ohm with my vintage Marantz receivers and have no issues with any of them.

Unfortunately, that rules out the Wharfedale Denton 85's, which is a shame as those have the look and the sound to them. The Linton's would work very well though.

Personally, I'd stay away from vintage speakers unless you find a really nice set that's been rebuilt. And no need to worry about sensitivity since the 2270 will put out enough watts to power most speakers made today.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.
You have pre outs and main ins so you could hook up a subwoofer in between to provide you with a set 80hz crossover meaning the main speakers only have to play above that point while the subwoofer handles frequencies below.

The SVS Sb1000 has that feature with a set 80hz crossover point for $500.

That is how I have my subs hooked up to my NAD 7250pe in my secondary room.

Music Direct is near Chicago and they have a lot of speakers worthy of consideration and as you are close, any returns would be free assuming you drive them back.

$510/pair or less speakers to consider.

Wharfedale Dentons

Dali Spektor 2

Dali Oberon 1

Wharfedale Diamond 11.1

Martin Logan Motion 15, (I have the LX16 version of these in my room with the old amp and they are lovely combined with a sub, zero issues driving these 5 ohm speakers with my 1980s era receiver)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
either find a pair of vintage JBL monitors - or the newer re-issues (although most are out of your price range now i.e. L100 classic) here is a 4307 on sale from Music Direct

smithsabom,

Thanks for the recommendation on the JBL's. I recall looking at JBL's back when I originally purchased my system although I don't recall which model at the time. Are the 4307's a new speaker or is that a vintage model? I just learned today from another poster that Music Direct is here in Chicago. I'm in the outer suburbs of the city but they are certainly within driving distance if they have a showroom. The L100's are out of my price range although I'm sure they are nice. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably best to stay away from 4ohm speakers unless the unit has been completely gone through (and even then, not so sure I'd do that anyways). I use 8 and 6ohm with my vintage Marantz receivers and have no issues with any of them.

Unfortunately, that rules out the Wharfedale Denton 85's, which is a shame as those have the look and the sound to them. The Linton's would work very well though.

Personally, I'd stay away from vintage speakers unless you find a really nice set that's been rebuilt. And no need to worry about sensitivity since the 2270 will put out enough watts to power most speakers made today.
tk,

Thanks for the advice on the 4ohm speakers. I did a little research on that and leaned the same. I'm really not interested in vintage speakers as I'm not astute enough to know what I'd be buying. As mentioned earlier I'm the original owner of the 2270. I took good care of the unit and didn't abuse it when I did use it. I have a shop going through it now to see what kind of shape it is in. The Linton's may be a bit more than what I want to spend. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have pre outs and main ins so you could hook up a subwoofer in between to provide you with a set 80hz crossover meaning the main speakers only have to play above that point while the subwoofer handles frequencies below.

The SVS Sb1000 has that feature with a set 80hz crossover point for $500.

That is how I have my subs hooked up to my NAD 7250pe in my secondary room.

Music Direct is near Chicago and they have a lot of speakers worthy of consideration and as you are close, any returns would be free assuming you drive them back.

$510/pair or less speakers to consider.

Wharfedale Dentons

Dali Spektor 2

Dali Oberon 1

Wharfedale Diamond 11.1

Martin Logan Motion 15, (I have the LX16 version of these in my room with the old amp and they are lovely combined with a sub, zero issues driving these 5 ohm speakers with my 1980s era receiver)
gajCA,

Thanks for the informing me that Music Direct is in Chicago. It's about 40 minutes from my location. Now I need to see if I can find these at a location so I can listen to them. I see the Motion 15 is a 4 ohm speaker. Will that present a problem with my 2270? Thanks for your input and time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Klipsch Heresy III's or IV's. :)
Class A,

The III's look like a possibility and a nearby store has them available to listen to. Those IV's are beasts. My days of moving 100lb speakers is over.:smile:
Can I assume you have one or the other or both of these speakers sets? If so what are you using to drive them? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
either find a pair of vintage JBL monitors - or the newer re-issues (although most are out of your price range now i.e. L100 classic) here is a 4307 on sale from Music Direct

smithsabom,

Thanks for the recommendation on the JBL's. I recall looking at JBL's back when I originally purchased my system although I don't recall which model at the time. Are the 4307's a new speaker or is that a vintage model? I just learned today from another poster that Music Direct is here in Chicago. I'm in the outer suburbs of the city but they are certainly within driving distance if they have a showroom. The L100's are out of my price range although I'm sure they are nice. Thanks for your input.
NP. glad to be of help. The 4307s are and updated version of the originals. There are several of the monitors that they have updated and released. they also have a mini version of the 4312 montior. looks like it is out of stock at music direct, but several appear to be available via ebay

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
People like to recommend Klipsch for vintage systems, but I'm telling you...you don't necessarily need the sensitivity with the 2270 (unless you are going to throw a bunch of parties). That receiver will power most any speaker made today without issue (especially in the sub $1000 price range where you are looking). Unless you like horn tweeters, then I could see why Klipsch might be appealing.

As I said though, stay away from 4ohm speakers. No need to push it that hard when there are plenty of good 8 and 6ohm speakers to choose from.

A speaker well under your budget would be the Wharfedale Diamond 225. Something like that would match well with the 2270. Those older receivers were not lacking for strong bass output so you also should choose a speaker that will play low enough to take advantage of the Marantz's strengths.

I lost count of how many 22xx Marantz receivers I currently own (ok, maybe a half-dozen if I have to count). One of my favorite inexpensive speakers with them is the original Elac Debut B5 and B6. 6 ohms, lots of bass, mellow highs, etc.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
gajCA,

Thanks for the informing me that Music Direct is in Chicago. It's about 40 minutes from my location. Now I need to see if I can find these at a location so I can listen to them. I see the Motion 15 is a 4 ohm speaker. Will that present a problem with my 2270? Thanks for your input and time.
It's actually a 5 ohm speaker and you receiver won't have any trouble with it at all.

My friends lost there home in the fires here in 2017 and I resurrected my old Sansui 881 for them; 63 watts/channel and they bought a pair as well to run full range.

It drives them to very loud levels easily without a fuss and the Marantz is of higher quality than that Sansui.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Class A,

The III's look like a possibility and a nearby store has them available to listen to. Those IV's are beasts. My days of moving 100lb speakers is over.:smile:
Can I assume you have one or the other or both of these speakers sets? If so what are you using to drive them? Thanks.
You mentioned slim towers.

Music Direct has these very well regarded Debut Reference towers open box.

Would not need a sub.

Simply gorgeous and would be nearly ideal for vinyl I would think.

Dimensions (WHD): 7.28" x 39.99" x 9.52"

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/ELAC-Debut-Reference-DFR52-Tower-Speakers-Walnut-OPEN-BOX

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mentioned slim towers.

Music Direct has these very well regarded Debut Reference towers open box.

Would not need a sub.

Simply gorgeous and would be nearly ideal for vinyl I would think.

Dimensions (WHD): 7.28" x 39.99" x 9.52"

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/ELAC-Debut-Reference-DFR52-Tower-Speakers-Walnut-OPEN-BOX
It's actually a 5 ohm speaker and you receiver won't have any trouble with it at all.

My friends lost there home in the fires here in 2017 and I resurrected my old Sansui 881 for them; 63 watts/channel and they bought a pair as well to run full range.

It drives them to very loud levels easily without a fuss and the Marantz is of higher quality than that Sansui.
gajCA,

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I will need to give Music Direct a call and determine if they have a showroom open to the public for speaker demonstrations. Things are starting to open up here in Illinois but Chicago may be a bit slower than the outer suburbs. I have 2 brothers in your neck of the woods. One in Sonoma and the other in Santa Rosa. My brother in Santa Rosa was spraying down his house, I believe it was just last fall, due to the wild fires. Thanks again for your input and time.

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts