AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21,615 Posts
gajCA,

Thanks for both of your suggestions. I will need to give Music Direct a call and determine if they have a showroom open to the public for speaker demonstrations. Things are starting to open up here in Illinois but Chicago may be a bit slower than the outer suburbs. I have 2 brothers in your neck of the woods. One in Sonoma and the other in Santa Rosa. My brother in Santa Rosa was spraying down his house, I believe it was just last fall, due to the wild fires. Thanks again for your input and time.

John
Small world!

Music Direct also carries these very highly regarded stand mounters that surprisingly don't have to have a sub for most music.

In fact the review might have you turning the bass down a notch unless you have room to pull them out from the wall.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-m16-speaker-review.11884/

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Revel-M16-Bookshelf-Speakers

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You mentioned slim towers.

Music Direct has these very well regarded Debut Reference towers open box.

Would not need a sub.

Simply gorgeous and would be nearly ideal for vinyl I would think.

Dimensions (WHD): 7.28" x 39.99" x 9.52"

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/ELAC-Debut-Reference-DFR52-Tower-Speakers-Walnut-OPEN-BOX

Those would possibly work but I'd 100% have to hear them first. They are based off the Debut F5.2 towers and those speakers have absolutely zero satisfying bass to them. I know you'll think I'm lying, but a set of my Elac B4 bookshelves had more bass than my F5.2 towers did.

I've bought most all of AJ's speakers in the past but I'm very hesitant on the Debut References because of how much I disliked the Debut 2.0 series. This is a speaker that I will have to listen to before I ever pull the trigger on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Those would possibly work but I'd 100% have to hear them first. They are based off the Debut F5.2 towers and those speakers have absolutely zero satisfying bass to them. I know you'll think I'm lying, but a set of my Elac B4 bookshelves had more bass than my F5.2 towers did.

I've bought most all of AJ's speakers in the past but I'm very hesitant on the Debut References because of how much I disliked the Debut 2.0 series. This is a speaker that I will have to listen to before I ever pull the trigger on.
Yep, I've got to hear them for myself. Recall from my original post that my 2270 has been sitting idle for 15 to 20 years. So I've waited this long I can wait a little longer. I'll wait and see what the service tech at the shop tells me before I do much else. I'm pretty certain, don't know why, that the unit is is pretty good working order. I need to hear any speaker before I make a purchase. We all have different ears and my wife claims I have selective hearing. :) I'm not sure that will help with my speaker selection though.

·
Registered
21,615 Posts

The OP is in the catbird seat as he's 40 minutes from Music Direct so he can order many great brands on line, test for 60 days at home, bookshelf or tower, and if not happy take a 40 minute drive to return them for the price of gas and a little time out of his day.

Perfect scenario.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Not picking on you, but a lot of people are recommending those Debut References that have yet to hear them. AJ is a great speaker designer but the speaker world is a different place than when he crashed the scene with those Pioneer bookshelves.

I was set to listen to them (and a bunch of others) at Music Direct when the virus hit so we had to cancel our Chicago trip.

Still, if I had a fresh 2270 and really wanted to hear it, I'd spend the $299 on the Wharfedale Diamond 225's and then perhaps re-evaluate things when Music Direct opens back up in less than two months.

·
Registered
17,844 Posts
I need to hear any speaker before I make a purchase. We all have different ears and my wife claims I have selective hearing. :)
Perfectly understandable, but with the coronavirus lockdown making what few brick and mortar shops still around inaccessible, imo you're better off doing in-home auditions using companies that offer free return shipping (JBL, Infinity, RSL, SVS, HTD, etc.) or using Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return shipping policy ($75 for towers).

Reactions: lastplace

·
Registered
21,615 Posts
Perfectly understandable, but with the coronavirus lockdown making what few brick and mortar shops still around inaccessible, imo you're better off doing in-home auditions using companies that offer free return shipping (JBL, Infinity, RSL, SVS, HTD, etc.) or using Crutchfield's $10 flat rate return shipping policy ($75 for towers).
Why?

He can order on line numerous quality speakers and return in person to Music Direct even if it's curbside and everyone is wearing a mask unless Chicago is significantly more locked down than we are here in the Bay Area of California.

80 minutes there and back for him.

So if he gets towers, maybe $10 in gas.

But yes, if he wants bookshelves then those other companies are worth consideration.

·
Registered
17,844 Posts
Why?

He can order on line numerous quality speakers and return in person to Music Direct even if it's curbside and everyone is wearing a mask unless Chicago is significantly more locked down than we are here in the Bay Area of California.

80 minutes there and back for him.

So if he gets towers, maybe $10 in gas.

But yes, if he wants bookshelves then those other companies are worth consideration.
If his car can carry several pairs of towers, ok. :)

·
Registered
21,615 Posts
If his car can carry several pairs of towers, ok. :)
Well, the most popular "car" in America is a pickup and the most popular design is an SUV so good chances he's not like me.

When I auditioned speakers at home I made two trips to bring the towers here.

In my Miata with the top down! :p

Returned the floor models as I wanted a different finish so had to do it all over again, except three trips as the center was almost as big.

The dealer was a bit bemused! :p

Thankfully only 2 miles away though.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
This will be a living room setup with I suppose limited space, although I do have room for smaller floor speakers such as the Definitive Tech BP 9020's. I'm not sure my Vintage Marantz would take advantage of the built in sub woofer. I'm not afraid to spend up to a $1000 for a pair if that is what it will take to make this sound good.
Those speakers will work fine with the 2270. They don't work any differently than any common modern amp.

I've rambled enough. So, has anyone else been down a similar path with a vintage receiver? If yes, what did you do? Can anyone else provide some recommendations for me? I listen to a wide range of music to classic rock, symphony, big band and current pop. I've been out being an audiophile for a long time so take it easy on this old guy. :)
Yes. I used the speakers I liked.

If the 2270 has been sitting for a long time, then the myriad (and there are lots) of caps inside it will most likely need to be replaced, especially the power supply caps. I have restored a number of this range for other people and have a 2285B I bought new waiting for a resto when I retire in a few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Those speakers will work fine with the 2270. They don't work any differently than any common modern amp.

Yes. I used the speakers I liked.

If the 2270 has been sitting for a long time, then the myriad (and there are lots) of caps inside it will most likely need to be replaced, especially the power supply caps. I have restored a number of this range for other people and have a 2285B I bought new waiting for a resto when I retire in a few years.
Yep, as I noted earlier the unit has sat idle for a long time. Probably longer than I than I remember. It was a unit I bought when I was a sophomore in college back in 1975 and I'm now several months shy of 65. I loved the unit in college and after I got married. But once the kids came, 4 of them, life got in the way and I let the unit sit idle. Now the kids are gone and I thought it was time to rekindle my interest. I'm somewhat excited to get it up and running like I remembered. I did hook it up to some very entry level speakers and it did work. I'm just not sure how well. I believe it's in a reliable shop and I asked them to run any necessary tests to see how it is performing. I just brought it in earlier this week so I'm now waiting for their report. Thanks for your advice on checking the caps, as I will ask the technician about those when I get his call.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Thanks for your advice on checking the caps, as I will ask the technician about those when I get his call.
My pleasure. A word of warning though, from a technicians POV, these are horrible to work on, very complex and so it takes a lot of time to do it right and may be very expensive. They are some of the prettiest receivers ever made.

Mine is staying old and unrepaired until I retire, so I can spend a solid week on it. I bought mine new in HS as a YR12 student in 82. Had to put it on lay-by to afford it, but it and a set of modest headphones gave me a lot of pleasure until I could afford speakers and a TT.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello, just thought I'd post an update with my system. I finally picked up my Marantz 2270 last week after being in the shop getting an update on a few things. It still looks and I think sounds great. Under the recommendation of a few here I gave Music Direct a call last week and ordered a few components. The store is still closed to walk in customers.

I told the sales rep what I had and what would he recommend. My first thought was to try the JBL L82 and in his opinion I'd be better off with the Wharedale Linton Heritage so that's what I did. I purchased the dedicated stands too. They look nice and checked the box with happy wife happy life checkbox. I wanted to try streaming some music and was ready to order the Cambridge CXN v2 and he thought I'd be just as happy with the Bluesound Node 2i so I went with his recommendation. Included in my order was speaker wire and a Solidsteel rack which is backordered a couple months.

This past Saturday I was surprised when the FexEx man showed up with the speakers as they were scheduled to come this week. So I spent my Saturday afternoon setting up the incomplete system in my living room as I need the rack to include the CD player and turntable. Everything hooked up fine and the streamer was real easy to hook up.

So I've had a few days to listen to the system and I think the Linton speakers sounds pretty good. Now could I have done better with something else? I guess I have 60 days to get used to them. The speakers have plenty of bass, voice parts sound good. They do sound a little mellow and I wish they sounded a little brighter. I need to remember this is probably just above an entry level system and I probably did well for what I spent. The sales rep did save me about 2k if I would have purchased the JBL L82 and the Cambridge streamer and I don't know if they would have sounded any better or 2k better.

I suppose if I get the itch to try something else I could toss the speakers and stands in my full size van and take the 40 minute drive to the city and exchange them for something else. But then again like buying a nice bottle of red wine there is a large selection of speakers to choose from and I might drive myself crazy figuring out what sounds best.

I only wish the sales rep wouldn't have included their catalog in my order as there is plenty to drool over as I flipped through the pages.🙂 Thanks again for all your help and opinions.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The 2270 is not a "bright" receiver and the Linton's aren't bright speakers either. Also, give them a little while to break in (or as some like to refer to it, letting your ears adjust) and see what you think in a week or two.

I've read mixed reviews of the Linton's working with vintage receivers because the impedance dips into the 3ohm territory in some places (even though they are listed as a 6ohm speaker). Keep track of the heat your receiver is putting out, especially when you turn the volume up a bit. You'll probably be ok but it is worth checking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The 2270 is not a "bright" receiver and the Linton's aren't bright speakers either. Also, give them a little while to break in (or as some like to refer to it, letting your ears adjust) and see what you think in a week or two.

I've read mixed reviews of the Linton's working with vintage receivers because the impedance dips into the 3ohm territory in some places (even though they are listed as a 6ohm speaker). Keep track of the heat your receiver is putting out, especially when you turn the volume up a bit. You'll probably be ok but it is worth checking.
Thanks for your comments. I wondered that a bit regarding the receiver if it would produce the quality of sound my ears have become accustomed to over the years with the music I now listen to more often. I probably listen to more easy listening music now compared to my younger days. Don't get me wrong as I've already put the system through some of my old music including Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc and it does sound pretty good but then again must a bit mellow or flat.

The sound now is probably similar to my old Acoustic Research 2ax speakers. Back in the old days I was probably more interested in blowing the windows out of my dorm room than than the quality of the music I was listening to. I really don't think the system lacks for power and although it's rated at 70 amps per channel I think it may be a little underrated. So I guess for now I'll take your suggestion and just listen to them for a couple weeks and perhaps I'll adjust to the way they sound which is probably acceptable. It's to bad that I just can't just go and listen to a handful at Music Direct at this time but then again probably the best place to listen to them in in my own environment. If anyone has a suggestion to get a bit of a brighter sound out of my system I'm open for suggestions. As I've mentioned earlier I've been out of this for a long time.

·
Registered
17,844 Posts
I think the Linton speakers sounds pretty good. Now could I have done better with something else? I guess I have 60 days to get used to them. The speakers have plenty of bass, voice parts sound good. They do sound a little mellow and I wish they sounded a little brighter. I need to remember this is probably just above an entry level system and I probably did well for what I spent. The sales rep did save me about 2k if I would have purchased the JBL L82 and the Cambridge streamer and I don't know if they would have sounded any better or 2k better.
Make sure the Lintons are toed in so that you are listening to them directly ON-AXIS. This can often make a "warm" speaker seem a bit livelier if that's what you're looking for.

Now, if you are sure you want a more forward sound with stronger treble, I'd try these JBL 590s on sale for half off MSRP and with free return shipping:

Their main drawback is aesthetic/visual, especially as compared to the retro looks of the Lintons. :) But if your wife doesn't blow a gasket upon first sight, your ears might be happier with them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Now, if you are sure you want a more forward sound with stronger treble, I'd try these JBL 590s on sale for half off MSRP and with free return shipping:

Their main drawback is aesthetic/visual, especially as compared to the retro looks of the Lintons. :) But if your wife doesn't blow a gasket upon first sight, your ears might be happier with them.

Yeah, those things are very modern "sci-fi" looking...and not in a good way. I'd almost rather have Klipsch if he's looking for something brighter as at least those will fit the aesthetic of the receiver.

I really don't think the system lacks for power and although it's rated at 70 amps per channel I think it may be a little underrated.

It's not a WPC issue. It's a speaker impedance issue. Those older Marantz receivers do not like to dip below 4ohms. Again, if you don't crank them you will probably be fine. But I'd still keep an eye on how hot the receiver gets after about an hour or so. I'm also suggesting this because I too am interested in the Lintons with my vintage Marantz and I've yet to see anyone take the time to see what affect they are having on said receivers. Just that "it works". Well yes...it will work. But that's not the concern.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Make sure the Lintons are toed in so that you are listening to them directly ON-AXIS. This can often make a "warm" speaker seem a bit livelier if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation on the JBL 590s, however I'm more than certain they will not pass the gasket test with my wife. :) I've listened to the Linton's for about a week. Perhaps they will grow on me or maybe I need to up my budget my a bit if I want a different sound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, those things are very modern "sci-fi" looking...and not in a good way. I'd almost rather have Klipsch if he's looking for something brighter as at least those will fit the aesthetic of the receiver.

It's not a WPC issue. It's a speaker impedance issue. Those older Marantz receivers do not like to dip below 4ohms. Again, if you don't crank them you will probably be fine. But I'd still keep an eye on how hot the receiver gets after about an hour or so. I'm also suggesting this because I too am interested in the Lintons with my vintage Marantz and I've yet to see anyone take the time to see what affect they are having on said receivers. Just that "it works". Well yes...it will work. But that's not the concern.
Thanks for the clarification on the impedance issue. I'll admit I'm not real well versed on this at all. I did find an article on the Linton's and it did claim the impedance would dip to 3.4. My 2270 is in the original wood case and I have tried to keep note if the top of the case get warm. It does get warm however that is feeling the vent on the wood case and not the unit itself. I do have the manual to the 2270 and it does state that the unit will work with both 4 and 8 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
17,844 Posts
I've listened to the Linton's for about a week. Perhaps they will grow on me or maybe I need to up my budget my a bit if I want a different sound.
It's not a question of upping the budget; it's a question of simply finding the right sound signature.

Wharfedale is definitely on the "warm" side of things. The JBLs I mentioned lean slightly towards "bright" though not in the ear-bleeding entry-level-Klipsch sense.

A "neutral" speaker that sits in the middle ground might be a better bet, like this one which costs about the same as those JBLs on sale, but are far from gasket-blowing :D

There is a large "Chane Owners' Thread" you might want to browse through to get a feel for the company and its user feedback.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts