AVS Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's not a question of upping the budget; it's a question of simply finding the right sound signature.

Wharfedale is definitely on the "warm" side of things. The JBLs I mentioned lean slightly towards "bright" though not in the ear-bleeding entry-level-Klipsch sense.

A "neutral" speaker that sits in the middle ground might be a better bet, like this one which costs about the same as those JBLs on sale, but are far from gasket-blowing :D

There is a large "Chane Owners' Thread" you might want to browse through to get a feel for the company and its user feedback.

Thanks again for the recommendation on the Chase speakers. Yep, warm/mellow is a pretty good description of the Linton's. The stereo unit sits in the same room as my wife's Mason and Hamlin piano. My music interest are old rock classic and lots of newer piano and string music. When I asked my wife if the piano music over the Linton's sounded like her piano she said, "Well they do sound like an electric piano." Yikes, that's not what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
Thanks again for the recommendation on the Chase speakers. Yep, warm/mellow is a pretty good description of the Linton's. The stereo unit sits in the same room as my wife's Mason and Hamlin piano. My music interest are old rock classic and lots of newer piano and string music. When I asked my wife if the piano music over the Linton's sounded like her piano she said, "Well they do sound like an electric piano." Yikes, that's not what I wanted to hear.
Sheesh, your wife sounds like a tough customer! :D

Maybe it might be worth it to splurge on the Ascend Sierras with RAAL tweeters then. They'd have the nice looking (solid bamboo) cabinets for WAF as well as all the musical finesse/realism you could want. If you are ok with doing bookshelves on stands and don't need the extra headroom of towers, these may do the trick for you:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the impedance issue. I'll admit I'm not real well versed on this at all. I did find an article on the Linton's and it did claim the impedance would dip to 3.4. My 2270 is in the original wood case and I have tried to keep note if the top of the case get warm. It does get warm however that is feeling the vent on the wood case and not the unit itself. I do have the manual to the 2270 and it does state that the unit will work with both 4 and 8 ohm speakers.
Yes, it will work with 4 and 8 ohm speakers. But the question is how well will it work with speakers that dip below 4 ohms, especially considering the ages of these units now. Even when new they didn't like to dip that low. But, maybe that's something people only noticed when trying to make their living room sound like an arena rock concert.

Maybe it might be worth it to splurge on the Ascend Sierras with RAAL tweeters then. They'd have the nice looking (solid bamboo) cabinets for WAF as well as all the musical finesse/realism you could want. If you are ok with doing bookshelves on stands and don't need the extra headroom of towers, these may do the trick for you:
I've had my eye on those as well. They seem to get pretty high praise and should pair pretty well with a vintage receiver.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You won't get reasonable piano reproduction without subs. A0 on an 88 key piano is 27.5 Hz and C0 on a 108 key piano is 16.35 Hz. The Linton will also have a lot of cabinet edge diffraction which degrades the sound. I would look at Ascend or Revel. If you want to stick with Wharfedale, then I would try the Evo 4-4.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
The Totem Skylight has garnered some pretty good reviews. It's an excellent choice at the $1k/pair mark. If your budget can be extended, then listen to the other bookshelf options from them, as well. See if you can find a dealer in your neighborhood and go have a listen (take the wife). Piano should be well reproduced without an electronic flavor..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes, it will work with 4 and 8 ohm speakers. But the question is how well will it work with speakers that dip below 4 ohms, especially considering the ages of these units now. Even when new they didn't like to dip that low. But, maybe that's something people only noticed when trying to make their living room sound like an arena rock concert.
Thanks again for your advice. I think I found a reliable Vintage Audio Repair shop in Chicago. With your encouragement and from some others I think it's best to bring the 2270 in and have it checked out. The first shop I brought it to was an authorized Marantz repair shop but not a restoration shop. Turn around time is 3 to 5 weeks so I think I'll listen to the Linton's a little while longer before I bring it in. I guess I'm doing things a bit ass backwards here but honestly didn't think much about restoration until I started hanging out here a bit. Thanks again.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts