AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Since I'm newbie on this I'll do probably a very easy to answer question...

I have nice set at home, not the newest one but not the oldest one:

2010 VIERA G25 Plasma

PS3

HTPC (a power computer to download, storage and reproduce HD Movies)

Direct TV DVR

So I need to buy a receiver and some speakers. But on my last trip to the storage I've found out my old receiver Harman Kardon AVR-254, so I decided to buy some speakers now, and may be later buy a whole set with more technology.

In my mind I'd like this set:

2 x Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding $360
1 Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker $99
1 Polk Audio RM8 High Performance Satellite Speaker Pair $129
1 Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer $99

So I'll be expending close to $700.

As you could see I have no idea... so can you please tell me if this is a wise way to spend the money... on newegg the rates are great, but I don't know if the people who are rating knows anything...

the purpose of the the set is basically to watch movies and play games... I like music but I'm not a musician... I know that the savvy people don't recommend subwoofers... but I like that type of sound unfortunately...

Probably on the future I'll be buying a much better receiver, but from now I prefer to spend the money on the speakers...

but, do I'm doing right???

thanks in advance for all the answers..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any reason your not going with the Polk Monitor 30's or 40's as surrounds? The 40's are currently 120/pair and I think would be better.

I would choose a different sub if you can stretch your budget just a little bit. You don't have to get the same brand sub as speakers. Something like a BIC F12(around $200) would be a improvement. If you are set on a Polk sub the PSW505 goes on sale to 199 fairly often and would be worth the money over the PSW10.

Good luck with all the choices.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I'd skip the PSW10 as well. It won't do anything the front speakers you want, won't already be doing.

I'd also get the 30/40, unless there is a space constraint as to why you chose the ones you did.

Nobody said you needed a new sub either. Wherever you are, scour CL for a used subwoofer. You never know when somebody is sacrificing their subwoofer for rent money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12d /forum/post/20789530

Any reason your not going with the Polk Monitor 30's or 40's as surrounds? The 40's are currently 120/pair and I think would be better.

No reason, I didn't saw this one. thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12d /forum/post/20789530

I would choose a different sub if you can stretch your budget just a little bit. You don't have to get the same brand sub as speakers. Something like a BIC F12(around $200) would be a improvement. If you are set on a Polk sub the PSW505 goes on sale to 199 fairly often and would be worth the money over the PSW10.

I really don't care about the brand, just found on my budget and like them..

Do you think that the BIC F12 is better than the PSW505 ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically with the new suggestions (thanks d12d and schan1269) I'll be spending $800.

my question here is do you think that this is a smart way to invest this money?

can I buy a better product?

pls let me know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i would try to hear the polks first. if you like them , then that seems like a good deal.

imo, the towers seem a little overkill, unless you listen to alot of stereo music(2ch).

i would put as much $$ possible towards the center and subs for theater, if you listen to alot of music, add more $ for mains.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are able to listen to them I think it would be wise to make sure you are happy with the sound. I'm sure you would be but everyone likes something different. I think this is a very good setup for the money. One other potential way to go is with a Jamo setup. The Jamo S606 are either $400 or $450 shipped depending whether you would like black or dark apple. This comes with 2 towers a center and 2 surrounds. I have Jamo's and they are great. You will also find a ton of great reviews on here as well. If you choose this setup that will leave you with a little more to spend on a sub. In the under $300 range I would go with either a Bic PL-200 or Lava LSP12. This would put your whole setup at potentially under $700 and I think would be better overall than the Polk setup. If you are willing to go to $800 there are better subs you can get. Good luck with the choices and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d12d /forum/post/20799548

If you are able to listen to them I think it would be wise to make sure you are happy with the sound. I'm sure you would be but everyone likes something different. I think this is a very good setup for the money. One other potential way to go is with a Jamo setup. The Jamo S606 are either $400 or $450 shipped depending whether you would like black or dark apple. This comes with 2 towers a center and 2 surrounds. I have Jamo's and they are great. You will also find a ton of great reviews on here as well. If you choose this setup that will leave you with a little more to spend on a sub. In the under $300 range I would go with either a Bic PL-200 or Lava LSP12. This would put your whole setup at potentially under $700 and I think would be better overall than the Polk setup. If you are willing to go to $800 there are better subs you can get. Good luck with the choices and let me know if you have any questions.

+1

$400 for the Jamos and $415 for an Elemental Designs A2-300 and you will have a great system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts