AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All, 

I'm sure that people post this exact question a million and one times on this forum, but here it goes again. Here is some background information:

1.) Living room space is roughly 15' x 15'. It's flanked on the right by a foyer ( 6' x 15'), which is connected by an opening roughly 8' wide and on the left by a dinner room (12' x 12') also connected by opening roughly 6 feet wide. 

2.) I have a Denon AVR-1712 with an old JBL home theatre in a box set up. I think the reciever puts out about 90-100 Watts per channel 

3.) I mostly use my set up to watch tons of movies, gaming, and TV series, not much music. 

4.) Eventually, I'd like to add a projector for "special occasions" like sports, visually special movies, etc. 

5.) Looking to spend under $800 total.

With this in mind, I'd like to but a set up that will last me at least 5 years. My current set up has worked for almost 10. I'd like to have a big movie sound in this small space. I'm planning on keeping the Subwoofer for savings. 

Currently, I'm considering, the JBL ES80s, ES25C, and ES20 bookshelf speakers. I know nothing about mids, lows, crossover (audio jargon). I like to dabble with home theater but I'm no expert nor do I have an experts ear. I'm considering the JBL's becuase I've have their old speakers and can only imagine that anything made 10 years later, is going to sound much better. 

My questions are:

1.) Is this setup overkill for what I want to do?

2.) What other brands are comparable to JBL?

3.) What other recommendations should I consider?

Thanks for any input you can share. 

Regards, 

C.I.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Moving from HTiB to most any series will be an improvement. The ES series will be good for what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the recommendations Mark and 4D. I'm trying to get my tax return quickly this year so I can make my decision and order the upgrade!

Regards, 

C.I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts