AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I am looking for:

I am looking for speakers that are good for Movies and Music 50/50. I don't like speakers that sound recessed or emphasize bass to the extreme or roll off the highs too soon. Above all I want it to sound full. I am not familiar with audiophile terms so when I say full I want the sound to be hard to locate and completely surround me with lots of dynamics.

Speaker I have heard:

BB Magnolia on a McIntosh AMP

All speakers were running on a McIntosh amp. Would be nice if I could afford that amp by the way. I only heard recordings which had deep male vocals or jazz or classical. I couldn't test them with the type of music I listen to.

B&W CM9's - Sounded amazing and really full with tons of depth. There was no sweet spot since the whole entire room was the sweet spot and were hard to locate in the room. Dynamic at all volumes but I am unsure if that was the amp doing that. Would they sound this good on a receiver?

MartinLogan Motions - Sounded clear but had a very narrow sweet spot. Had a nice extension of highs but in no way seemed full sounding in the mids or bass. I knew instantly where the sound was coming from. Not only in direction but in height. I didn't like these. Almost as if the sound was coming out of a very small speaker.

Def Tech Supertower - Kind of a jack-of-all-trades speaker. Did nothing bad but didn't really do anything good either. Like the Motions it couldn't touch the CM9's in fullness, I couldn't locate the Def techs but knew which direction they were coming from.

Local BestBuy various receivers

Polk Monitor - Definetely not high end but seemed good to me. Didn't wow me at all but did nothing bad.

Pioneer FS-52 - Really dull sounding but the louder it got the more indistinguishable it got compared to other speakers. On the plus side it was detailed.

What I listen to:

I listen to lots of U2, some Coldplay (Viva la Vida), Elvis, Bon Jovi, Imagine Dragons, Black Eyed Peas, etc. I basically listen to everything but jazz and classical.

The problem:

The B&W are way too expensive for me. I couldn't hear my own music so I don't know how they would hold up with that or with movies. I hear that the B&W can have a recessed treble and laid back so how they would hold up with my music is a big uncertainty. Not that I could afford them anyway.

What I am looking into at the moment:

I haven't heard any of these

Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf

Aperion Verus Forte bookshelf

Focal Chorus bookshelf or tower

Paradigm Studio 20 V.3 used bookshelf

Ascend CBM-170

Klipsch Ref bookshelf

PSB Image bookshelf

Any other speaker based on what I have written

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused in your other thread you said your budget was $800 for speakers and a sub, or just towers. Now it's up to $850 for just bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was thinking B stock and I really shop around looking for good deals. Also Aperions I think have a transferable warranty if I get used but I have to check on that to be sure.

It's ($650 for a bookshelf + $200 sub) or ($850 for floorstanding pair max + no sub)

If it's an ID company I would like a good return policy in case I don't like them. And above all a really full sound. It can have all the detail in the world but if it sounds like it's coming out of a narrow pipe or recessed I will not like them.

As far as the Sierra's go I will add them to my list to research if I can get them B-stock at a reduced price. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
You'd be far better off speakers $250 of speakers and $600 on a sub. That will sound way better then $650 speakers and a $200 sub.

Are you handy will tools at all? You can get some great DIY flat pack kits that you basically just assemble and glue, then sound pretty amazing for you pay and you could easily get a great pair of speakers and build a sub for $850.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No not really. I really don't have a lot of $$ to spare in case I completely mess up. I looked into DIY kits for a sub. It got complicated really fast, no directions online, and hard to find all in one kits with everything I need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone here listened to B&W CM9's (comparisons are welcome)? Has anyone here listened to a brand that seemed to be just as full sounding as them? Wide dispersion, very clear, not thin sounding, very full is what I am looking for.

BTW I will most likely be getting bookshelf models.

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarthog  /t/1484245/speaker-recommendations-600-850-per-pair#post_23588974

Has anyone here listened to B&W CM9's (comparisons are welcome)? Has anyone here listened to a brand that seemed to be just as full sounding as them? Wide dispersion, very clear, not thin sounding, very full is what I am looking for.

BTW I will most likely be getting bookshelf models.

The CM9's are very much the opposite of what you describe in your first post. They are very rolled off in the highs and tend to have more emphasis on bass. Not saying it's a bad thing, but may just change how you describe the type of sound you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I couldn't audition with my music. I was limited to some sort of jazz and a song with very deep male vocals. Still they were to opposite of thin sounding and I liked that quality. They filled the room unbelievably.

Since I like a lot of U2, Linkin Park, and Imagine Dragons the B&W may not be for me then if they do roll off the highs and exaggerate the bass. Well I am open to suggestions as long as they don't sound thin.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would suggest bringing some music you actually listen to on a regular basis and use that experience to guide you. Many times people find speakers that are very flat in their response to sound thin to them because they are used to and prefer a push in the bass/mid bass. Others on here will have better suggestions for companies that bestbuy/magnolia do not carry. I worked for Magnolia Design Center for a number of years so I can really only speak for brand they carry. No matter what, you really should take your music (CD's, no MP3's!) to listen to a variety of speakers to learn what you like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was trying to avoid another very long road trip but it seems like that may be what I will have to do. So I guess I will have to plan another.

While I will audition again before deciding I keep hearing Internet Direct companies provide a far superior value to any brick and mortar brands. Since many provide in home trials for 30-45 days can anyone recommend the best bang for the buck speakers out there?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I not an audiophile but I did audition a bunch of speakers recently. My thread may or may not help. Most of my list was over your price range, but may be worth a look. The cm9s were on my list too. Have fun and listen to as much as you can.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466750/full-range-towers-wanted

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I will said paradigm ,psb,kef.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Also the NHT Classic 3. Just over your budget at full retail. They do go on sale pretty often though. Or a pair of Absolute Zeros and a nice sub.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah nada. Some Klipsch close to MSRP and old speakers from the early 90's. Craigslist isn't an option for me since I don't live near a big city.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarthog  /t/1484245/speaker-recommendations-600-850-per-pair#post_23588015

Well I was thinking B stock and I really shop around looking for good deals. Also Aperions I think have a transferable warranty if I get used but I have to check on that to be sure.

It's ($650 for a bookshelf + $200 sub) or ($850 for floorstanding pair max + no sub)

If it's an ID company I would like a good return policy in case I don't like them. And above all a really full sound. It can have all the detail in the world but if it sounds like it's coming out of a narrow pipe or recessed I will not like them.

As far as the Sierra's go I will add them to my list to research if I can get them B-stock at a reduced price. Thanks

Ascend does have some B-stock Sierra-1s available, piano black for $790 and gloss expresso for $834. IMHO they are worth it but I realize that it´s a lot to spend and would take your complete budget. I would definitely check out the KEF, NHT options and add Monitor Audio to your list.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts