AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am one of those odd ducks that loves Gregorian and Byzantium chant, and I like listening to it loud. My-in wall Polks and sub are busting at the seams and I am toying with building a dedicated room in the basement for listening. It'll be about 12w x 12h x 7.5h (and will be another thread - assuming there is not one on the forums already). So, given this, what speakers would folks recommend? I was thing of just a dual tower set up, but could use some advice. Price is not so much of an issue as quality. With this said, I am a believer that there are diminishing returns and would like to be at the sweet spot on the price/quality spectrum. I would live to know where folks think this point is....In my uninformed non-audiophile mind, this would be around 1k, but what do I know :) and hence the thread.

And before anyone asks, the respective component costs will follow the speaker choice.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
There will always be diminishing returns, and it starts with the lowest price speakers. As prices increase, so does the diminishing return curve. I own bookshelf speakers that cost $225 a pair. Are they any good? I think so. I also own full panel towers that cost over 5 grand a pair that are pretty darn good.

You need to forget about price and go out and audition both bookshelf speakers and floor standing speakers. Bring your favorite choral music (and anything else you like to listen to) and spend some quality time listening to a variety of speakers. Let your own ears be the judge, as no one can speak for the sound signature you like, but you.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
If you are really open on price, I just heard a pair of Vandersteen 5 Carbons yesterday, powered by a pair of Rogue audio 250 watt tube mono blocks with a very nice VPI record player. The speakers were about 20 grand. This was a great sounding pair of speakers that I demoed at an Audio store I visit. The Vandersteens would be a great speaker for choral music and the classics. The older 5's can be had for a 1/4 of that price on the used market and would still be great.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Ever tried panel speakers?
+1 Magnepans would be great also Martin Logan Electostats would work well.

http://www.magnepan.com

Interesting, if I read that right, they will pay the freight both ways and pay you a $100 bucks for an in home trial on the 1.7i. I am thinking about it myself.

--

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all and thanks for the input. Good product and shopping advice all around. I actually haven't heard panels before, and am going to take a ride over to check out some Magnepans tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Note that Magnapans has a very narrow 'sweet spot'. If you listening is mostly done in in spot, this is not a big deal, but if you like to listen to tunes in a wide area over the room, you might want to look at speakers with better dispersion, like KEF or Polk LSi speakers for example. Since Choral music doesn't look to have deep bass, you might just get a couple of full range speakers and forget the subwoofer. As a bass fiend I cringe to advise against a sub, but it would be logical given your tastes. However, if the music you listen to has instrumental accompaniment with stuff like pipe organs, than yes, get a sub and some bookshelf speakers instead of tower speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts