AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
exactly what the title says...


At work i listen to music with Sennheiser HD600's with an headphone amp and i love the sound it reproduces. What speakers would match the sound of the sennheisers.


starting off with 2CH, then to 2.1CH and eventually will upgrade to 5.1 later on.


Room size 14x24x8


Approximate usage for speakers

HT/OTA HD TV /DVDs/HD-DVDs 40%

Video Games - 40%

Music 20%


My plan is to get an initial 2Ch setup going, Floorstanding speakers and then purchase a good sub SVS or HSU, and eventually get the C and surrounds.


I was very very close to purchasing Polk LSi15's for approximately 1100, but the seller has backed out.


Equipment i have:

Outlaw Audio 750 5x165wpc @ 8ohm .05 THD, [email protected] .05thd

I purchased the Outlaw 750 to run the LSi's

AVR - would be a used older Denon that has pre-outs, that i can borrow from my frend(until i make decision on one).

Purchased 50Ft of 10Gauge bare wire from Blue Jean Cables, and a 4ft RCA cables to hook up the pre-pro to the amp.


I would prefer to get floorstanders, so i do not have to deal with stands, plus floorstanders in general look much much better.


Been doing more and more research and Axiom Audio comes up alot, and they would let me audition their speakers, but i would have to pay return shipping.


Price range would be 1500(max) or less just for L&R speakers. Preferably around 1k+- 200
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,900 Posts
It's not the headphones that are giving you that sound. It's the total freedom from any room acoustics that you get with a good set of cans.


The deader you can make your room and the closer you can sit to your speakers, the more any speaker will sound like headphones. You could buy electrostatic speakers, but your price range prohibits it. Maybe look at Magnepan...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have listened to ML Clarity Elecrostats before, and they do sound damn nice..


But the price range is out of my budget for sure.


Maybe my question or title shouldnt be something that sounds like sennheisers.. but rather really good floor standing speakers for around 1200 bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
The Rocket 450s would be my recomendation,very good build,nice drivers,and a better crossover than any floorstander under $1200 has any right to have at this pricelevel.And last but not least av123's customer service,Marks attention to his customers are second to none.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Have you taken a look at Martin Logan Mosaics? Currently can be had for $1k/pair and most feel that they have a much larger sweet-spot than the traditional ML electrostats. These are a hybrid speaker from ML that is about to be replaced with a new model in the Spring/Summer. Great deal, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb /forum/post/0


The Rocket 450s would be my recomendation,very good build,nice drivers,and a better crossover than any floorstander under $1200 has any right to have at this pricelevel.And last but not least av123's customer service,Marks attention to his customers are second to none.

Thanks for the suggestion...


I liked the sound of the Polk Lsi series...


The Rocket 450's would have the same Vifa tweeter, so they would sound very similar.


But no woofer, but in the long run i do plan on getting a svs or hsu sub, so this part could be over loked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna /forum/post/0


Thanks for the suggestion...


I liked the sound of the Polk Lsi series...


The Rocket 450's would have the same Vifa tweeter, so they would sound very similar.


But no woofer, but in the long run i do plan on getting a svs or hsu sub, so this part could be over loked.

They still sound different than the Lsi's,I used to own the Lsi 15's,one thing about the about the Vifa ring radiator tweeter,depending on the application it can sound very different,more so than any tweeter I've heard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0


I suggest a listen to Usher V-602's.

Another very good speaker,as far floostander goes take a listen to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 & 9.5,I have the 9.5s in my home theater rig,but they are very detailed for music with nice bass.Also take a listen to the Epos els 303 and Kef iq 5s & 7s,lastly a little more expensive check out av123s Reference 1.8s their on sale right now,along with GR Research's A/V 3,these choices along with The Usher V-602s and the 450 Rockets,that i beleive are the best available floostanders around unless you go DIY and have some building skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 /forum/post/0


Check out the Kef IQ9's - they go for $1200 a pair. Also the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6. Take a listen to Klipsch too. Its fun to go out and check them all out.

KEF IQ9 and PSB Image T65 are good choices. Also highly recommend to check out B&W 604 S3 Series, you should be able to pick up a pair for around $1250.00


The others I am sure listed some fine brands, you need to listen first hand yourself to find that ideal sound..


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb /forum/post/0


Another very good speaker,as far floostander goes take a listen to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 & 9.5,I have the 9.5s in my home theater rig,but they are very detailed for music with nice bass.Also take a listen to the Epos els 303 and Kef iq 5s & 7s,lastly a little more expensive check out av123s Reference 1.8s their on sale right now,along with GR Research's A/V 3,these choices along with The Usher V-602s and the 450 Rockets,that i beleive are the best available floostanders around unless you go DIY and have some building skills.

Wish I could have heard the Wharfedales at CES, but all they had was a static display.....no music!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0


Wish I could have heard the Wharfedales at CES, but all they had was a static display.....no music!

Thats a shame,im gonna give John a call at iagamerica,the Opus Monitors look real real interresting,oh.....all the current Opus are being closed out at rediculous prices,thats certainly good news considering the changes on the Opus2's are cosmetic and a little change to the tweeter faceplate,Wow killer deals!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL /forum/post/0


Tannoy Sensys DC2 worth a look.

Yeah,forgot about these,I like them very nice extended topend,with nice deep bass.The Rega R3 & R5 are worth a listen to,A friend of mine on the ecoustics forums just traded in his Paradigm Studio 40 v3s here recently for a whole Rega setup with R5s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna /forum/post/0


Thanks for the suggestion...


I liked the sound of the Polk Lsi series...


The Rocket 450's would have the same Vifa tweeter, so they would sound very similar.


But no woofer, but in the long run i do plan on getting a svs or hsu sub, so this part could be over loked.

I first thought what about the Rockets, then no, their Vifa tweeter sounds nothing like the top end of my HD580 Senns, so there's no way mwaarna would want that since the HD600 is so similar. Wrong.


I'd say you're best off getting a pair of Lsi9's and pair them up later with an HSU sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh9269 /forum/post/0


KEF IQ9 and PSB Image T65 are good choices. Also highly recommend to check out B&W 604 S3 Series, you should be able to pick up a pair for around $1250.00


The others I am sure listed some fine brands, you need to listen first hand yourself to find that ideal sound..


Good luck!

I found a seller with a expired(2 day) for sale posting for the 604 S3 series...


How much do these go for without shipping cause i would drive to pick them up?


How much do these retail for msrp? or how much can they be purchased for generally?


I see one pair on sale for 1500 + 100 shipping on ebay:
http://cgi.*********/B-W-DM604-S3-Sp...QQcmdZViewItem


But i doubt the warranty would be honored....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats a good place to get MSRP pricing for B&W speakers.. and what should one pay from MSRP?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top