AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've read hundreds of posts, and for every one that says how great xyz speakers are, there are others that say how much they stink. Frankly, I don't know where to start, and was hoping some of you more experienced people could lead me in the right direction.

I'm looking for speakers for a 7.1 setup that needs to fill a large space, but sounds good w/o being too loud. Watching movies and listening to music are equally important to me.

I'd like to keep it to $3k, but would go as high as $4k if it really makes a difference.

The space is a condo w/ hardwood floors, 18 foot ceiling w/ beams that jut 9" down from the ceiling, and is approximately 28' x 21'. The TV will be 1/4 of the way down the longer wall.

I plan on using an Integra 9.8 and Emotiva MPS-2 setup, so driving 4 ohms will not be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's a pretty big room. Be sure to budget for a decently sized powered subwoofer, something along the lines of a SVS PB-13-Ultra, Velodyne SPL-1500R or DD15, or the newly released HSU ULS-15 as a good starting point for that much space. You're going to find the sub alone is going to be in the $1K-2K range.

Assuming a budget of $4K (your high end) that leaves 2-3K for 7.1 speakers. Polk, Klipsch, Definitive all make decent brick & mortar store components to look at, and there are many Internet Direct systems that fit the bill.

Greg

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyns78 /forum/post/14257300

Well, I've read hundreds of posts, and for every one that says how great xyz speakers are, there are others that say how much they stink. Frankly, I don't know where to start, and was hoping some of you more experienced people could lead me in the right direction.

I'm looking for speakers for a 7.1 setup that needs to fill a large space, but sounds good w/o being too loud. Watching movies and listening to music are equally important to me.

I'd like to keep it to $3k, but would go as high as $4k if it really makes a difference.

The space is a condo w/ hardwood floors, 18 foot ceiling w/ beams that jut 9" down from the ceiling, and is approximately 28' x 21'. The TV will be 1/4 of the way down the longer wall.

I plan on using an Integra 9.8 and Emotiva MPS-2 setup, so driving 4 ohms will not be a problem.

Is the budget of 3-4k just for speakers or the pre/pro and amp are included already? Because you'll have roughly $1500-1600 left after you buy the amp and pre amp and hopefully you already have speaker cables and interconnects.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
All of us tend to, at the very least, promote the speakers we have (and, obviously, like). Unfortunately, some feel the need to rip on other brands, whether it's from a single bad experience or a need to "put others down", I don't know, but it's too often less-than-helpful.

I tell people that buying speakers is very similar to buying a car. You can't let someone else do it for you. You need to go kick the tires, sit in it, and test drive it yourself to know if you're going to like it. And, just like with cars, everyone's taste is a little different. So, the first thing you need to do is visit stores in your area, such as best buy (hopefully with a Magnolia), circuit city, independent audio/video stores, etc., and just listen to different speakers. Don't mix and match; when you listen to Klipsch, just listen to Klipsch and turn everything else in the room off; same with the others. This will help you at least narrow the list down somewhat. Speakers, like cars, range from KLH or Insignia (similar to a yugo or kia) up to vandersteen/revel/thiel (similar to the BMWs/Mercedes Benz/Jaguar), and everything in between. They'll get you from point A to point B, but some will burn more gas, accelerate slower, not look as sporty, etc.

So, if you need advice, get a list of some preferred brands, but then go listen to some of them yourself. You're the one that's going to have to listen to them and be happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded /forum/post/14257493

Is the budget of 3-4k just for speakers or the pre/pro and amp are included already? Because you'll have roughly $1500-1600 left after you buy the amp and pre amp and hopefully you already have speaker cables and interconnects.

3-4k is just for speakers. pre/pro and amp have their own budgets.

I would also go the 5.1 route if the money is better spent on those 6 instead of a full 8.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyns78 /forum/post/14257580

3-4k is just for speakers. pre/pro and amp have their own budgets.

I would also go the 5.1 route if the money is better spent on those 6 instead of a full 8.

I am a dynaudio fan boi! I like the focus line but its a bit over your budget and that's excluding a sub. Maybe if you can get demo speakers you can probably buy all 5(focus 220, focus center and even an audience 52 for rears) for under 4k.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Assuming that you have time and due diligence, I would focus on used equipment, dealer's demo, etc. You'd get more value out of those market. I would go an audition and find something that might fit your listening mood. Once you narrow it down, you can use Audigon or some used market place to find good quality used speakers.

With the size of the room that you have, you'd be better off having a tower speaker on your front L/R.

Some suggested lines: Dynaudio Focus, Revel Performa F32+C32, Thiel CS3.6+SCS1, Aerial 7B+3CC, Paradigm Studio, PSB G/Alpha, the list can go on.

Focus on the 3 front L/R/C. You need to stick with the same line of speakers since they will timbre match the surround mode better.

I've built my 2-chan/HT the same way. Buy a pair of Revel Studio, then Revenl Voice from Audiogon. It was pretty expensive for me, but it was also good deal as well.

happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyns78 /forum/post/14257300

Make sure you do something about that room! Sounds like it's very reflective.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For around 4k you can get the Klipsch reference line system (RF-63s or RF-83s fronts, RC-64 center, and RS-62 surrounds and rears) This is shopping around and not list price.

This is an unbelievably sounding system for HT - very detailed with incredible dynamics. This means you can play it at reasonable levels, with huge dynamic capability when called upon. It will easily fill your space

It is also a great sounding system for music.

Since I got this system I have started listening to music a lot more because it sounds so amazing (I have Epik Conquest sub).

The "All Channel Stereo" mode with the Onkyo is my preferred mode as it has great dynamics and does the best job of routing the bass to the sub. It is amazing how much bass I was missing before getting this set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts