AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another person asking for help due to speaker info overload.

I was able to recently obtain a new Denon 1910 Receiver. And been researching speakers.

So i'm finally upgrading from my wonderful 13+ year old Kenwood HTB-502 5.1 HTiB system with the VR-309 Reciever.

The Room is about roughly 20x22 in size with 10ft ceiling. Its used primarily 90% Movies, 5% TV, 5% Gaming/Music

I don't really have the budget for anything high end or to buy all the speakers at once. But I do not want basic/entry level that I will need to replace within the next couple years either.

I do want to get floor standing fronts to start. Other than that any recommendations from the experts here would be great.

And if possible where do many of you buy online from? Best deals for singles and sets of speakers (within the rules of coarse). I don't see any sticky or posts with online vendors people have used. Be a asset for alot of the new people and even vets to have handy I would think!

thanks,

Urlryn

· Registered
1,379 Posts
It really comes down to what your budget is. I enjoyed Klipsch and DefTech for home theater use only (not so much with music). These can easily be found at any BestBuy (not the best place to audition but better than nothing).

If you like horn tweeter such as Klipsch, a cheap alternative are the Bic [email protected] You can buy a set for around $1K.

Polk Monitor series are clearing out at Newegg.com. You can build a HT system for around $400+ depending on the speaker you go with.

SaturdayAudio&Audioadvisor have amazing deals on PSB. Saturdayaudio have good deals on Monitor Audio as well.

AV123 have 2 special deals: the ELT package and the X-Statik.

You can buy package deals at SVSound and HSUResearch.

Lots of options...comes down to your budget.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Asking this kind of question when there are over 350 brands of speakers to choose from is sort of like pinning the tail on the donky. You'll get as many different answers as there are people willing to take the time to push their favorites or their agenda. You could start by narrowing down the list to those speakers that the least biased audiophile publications summarize as their favorites by price range (i.e. The Absolute Sound and Stereophile).

· Registered
67 Posts
I'm in a very similar situation. I've pretty much settled on a Axiom M60s for the front, V150 (maybe V100) center, and QS8 surrounds. They get great reviews for quality for the money, and I've lived with someone who owned the bookshelves, which I loved. If you want to go the Polk RTi way, which is slightly cheaper, there is a guy selling over in the For Sale area a complete 5 speaker setup.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after lots of help from the folks on these forums...I have currently narrowed down to this setup so far...

Denon 1910 Receiver

JBL L890 Fronts

JBL LC2 Center

JBL L820 Rears

HSU VTF3 mk3 Sub

The only problem I have is the shipping cost of the speakers/sub.

The JBL's and HSU will cost over $250 to be shipped. I would really like to put that money to better use.

Are there any other brands (eD, Para, PSB, Klips, EMP, Mon Aud) that would be as good or better speakers in the same price range?

What models if possible?

Urlryn

· Registered
1,963 Posts
Check out Newegg.com I think you can find something in your price range that works.

Vanns is also a good place to look. Most items also have free shipping.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've checked NewEgg..but they are mostly POLK. I got BestBuys and Fry's around here that carry mostly POLK...but sound wise they didn't appeal to me. Then again it was BB and Frys...probably not the best places to audition speakers hehe.

Need to find some local Speaker Companies in North Houston to try and audition stuff some other brands really.

Urlryn

· Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlryn /forum/post/18153149

Well after lots of help from the folks on these forums...I have currently narrowed down to this setup so far...

Denon 1910 Receiver

JBL L890 Fronts

JBL LC2 Center

JBL L820 Rears

HSU VTF3 mk3 Sub

The only problem I have is the shipping cost of the speakers/sub.

The JBL's and HSU will cost over $250 to be shipped. I would really like to put that money to better use.

Are there any other brands (eD, Para, PSB, Klips, EMP, Mon Aud) that would be as good or better speakers in the same price range?

What models if possible?

Urlryn

Urlryn, L890 needs a lot of power. Denon 1910 may not have enough power to push it. If you really like L890/880, you may have to upgrade your receiver. Denon 3310 may be a better fit for L880 and 4310 for L890.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.