·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am getting a brand new HD setup with the following components:

Mitsubishi wd-73835 TV

Onkyo SR-805 A/V receiver

Sony BDP-s350 or Panasonic DMP-BD30K (haven't decided on that one yet)

Directv hr21-700 satellite receiver

I have a hard budget of $1000 for speakers. I am interested in a 5.1 setup. Due to placement constraints, I need to consider bookshelf speakers only. Any suggstions or thoughts?

Thanks!

The room is 18 x 15 with an open to second story ceiling.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I would suggest JBLs. If you look on Amazon, or the harman audio store on ebay, you'll find three series available, the discontinued Venues, at closeout prices; the ES series; and the Studio L series. The Studio L being the best of the three.

All three series have various bookshelf models, including center channel speakers.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSobon /forum/post/14329659

Hi,

I am getting a brand new HD setup with the following components:

Mitsubishi wd-73835 TV

Onkyo SR-805 A/V receiver

Sony BDP-s350 or Panasonic DMP-BD30K (haven't decided on that one yet)

Directv hr21-700 satellite receiver

I have a hard budget of $1000 for speakers. I am interested in a 5.1 setup. Due to placement constraints, I need to consider bookshelf speakers only. Any suggstions or thoughts?

Thanks!

The room is 18 x 15 with an open to second story ceiling.

You can get 4 RTiA1 black or cherry bookshelf speakers at JR's for about $600 with free shipping. There is a CSi3-CH cherry version on sale for $99 or CSi3 black for $130 and shipping is about $20 for your center. The cherry finsih is very nice, I have similar RTi speakers and they look great.

So that totals about $720 - $750 leaving approximately $250 - $280 for a subwoofer. In that price range I would consider subs from either BIC America such as the H-100, V1220, or 1020 or the x-sub from AV123. The X-sub is available in a cherry finish. If you want all Polk then the only Polk sub I would recommend in that price range is the PSW505 which is sells for approx. $300 plus shipping.

I priced a setup from JR.com and it works out to under $1060 with the cherry center. I think that this would be the best sounding system using bookshelf speakers with the $1000 budget you have.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
What's kinda amusing is that every time this question gets asked, you will get response from those people who are touting the same manufacturer of the speakers they own. I would venture to say that if 20 different people responded here, you would get close to 20 different answers because of this.

And the fact of the matter is, is that if you went out and auditioned thirty different speakers, you may very well pick a speaker that NO ONE suggested here.

Bottom line: Personal preference. Go out and listen, and then listen some more. If a manufacturer made a speaker that no one liked, they'd be out of business.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14330710

What's kinda amusing is that every time this question gets asked, you will get response from those people who are touting the same manufacturer of the speakers they own. I would venture to say that if 20 different people responded here, you would get close to 20 different answers because of this.

And the fact of the matter is, is that if you went out and auditioned thirty different speakers, you may very well pick a speaker that NO ONE suggested here.

Bottom line: Personal preference. Go out and listen, and then listen some more. If a manufacturer made a speaker that no one liked, they'd be out of business.

Owning the speakers that you advocate means you put your money where your mouth is which generally makes an opinion more credible.

Let's hope that people speak from their honest experience and just don't make things up. I own or have owed many speakers from several manufacturers over the years and have heard many more. I could have picked from many choices. Others can do the same and the results could be very interesting.

At least this way, the choices can be narrowed down to a few good choices instead of hundreds of different choices which may not be as good. While it is obviously best to listen for yourself, it is not always possible or practical to do this. That is why forums like this can be very useful.

This is all done to be helpful to the person who asked for suggestions. Most people also remember to take advice from others with a grain of salt and that they should do their own research too.

Perhaps he asked for suggestions on several forums!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 /forum/post/14330779

Owning the speakers that you advocate means you put your money where your mouth is which generally makes an opinion more credible.

Let's hope that people speak from their honest experience and just don't make things up. I own or have owed many speakers from several manufacturers over the years and have heard many more. I could have picked from many choices. Others can do the same and the results could be very interesting.

At least this way, the choices can be narrowed down to a few good choices instead of hundreds of different choices which may not be as good. While it is obviously best to listen for yourself, it is not always possible or practical to do this. That is why forums like this can be very useful.

This is all done to be helpful to the person who asked for suggestions. Most people also remember to take advice from others with a grain of salt and that they should do their own research too.

Perhaps he asked for suggestions on several forums!

Advocating the speakers that you own can also be a form of validating ones own purchase. You very seldom here anyone state NOT to buy a particular speaker that they have owned because after getting them, they found out that they didn't like them.

There will always be a hundred different GOOD choices. The only reason that they are narrowed down here is that only a few people will respond.

I still stand by my previous post.

There are just too many variables to take anyones suggestions here as to which speaker to buy. Here's just one variable. One can go to a store and listen to speaker "a" and speaker "b", and may come back from that experience liking speaker "a" better..................but................if he took both speakers home, he may in fact come to the complete opposite conclusion.

If someone "suggests" a speaker here, than the OP can say to himself, "Well, at least HE liked them. I'll go check them out". The problem is, is that, that can hold true for hundreds of speakers depending on whom you ask.

So let me amend my original thought. Sure, go ahead and ask for suggestions, but please keep in mind what I've said here.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Fully respecting lwien's statements, which I do concur with as well as the opposing argument, I say:

3x Ascend 170 SE for the front. Having a vertical speaker for center means you are way ahead of the game, even compared to many of us nutty AVSers.

Rest of budget, is it $500ish or so, a good ID sub. Personally, Id bookmark SVS b stock, hoping the well measured 12" NSD shows up there.

A pair of cheapos, used, ebay type for the rears for now. Or spend a bit more if budget permits. Or just don't get em at all for now until budget permits.

That is what I would do with $1k. For better or worse, I've spent a LOT-LOT-LOT more than that (well, including everything, seating, treatments, etc) on my new HT and stereo in the last couple of years... and yet, I bet I would be very happy with my recommended setup.

-jostenmeat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:

Boy I didn't want to stir up any controversy
I'm sure like most people who ask such a question, I'm looking for suggestions. I realize the final choice is mine, but the experience from the people who answer is so much greater than mine. I could go to a store and listen to a particular set, but I would limiting myself to whatever they have in stock. Without your helpful suggestions, the different sets would be completely unknown to me. I am a novice at this, so I need recommendations for product lines I would not even have known existed.

Thanks to everyone for responding!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSobon /forum/post/14331092

Boy I didn't want to stir up any controversy
I'm sure like most people who ask such a question, I'm looking for suggestions. I realize the final choice is mine, but the experience from the people who answer is so much greater than mine. I could go to a store and listen to a particular set, but I would limiting myself to whatever they have in stock. Without your helpful suggestions, the different sets would be completely unknown to me. I am a novice at this, so I need recommendations for product lines I would not even have known existed.

That's cool. Just keep an open mind to some speakers that you MAY hear that no one here has suggested.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14331117

That's cool. Just keep an open mind to some speakers that you MAY hear that no one here has suggested.

There was also a budget contraint too, so it narrows the field in the case of quality speakers. In someones opinion, if there are better speakers for the money than the ones I've listed, then I would like to know so I could try to hear them!

I like these forums for that reason. There also tends to be a lot of consensus that is useful to be aware of. I learned a lot about the Polk RTi speakers from this forum and I'm very thankful for that. I'm extremely happy with them. With some knowledge, "upgraditis" might be avoided.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:

There are alot of speakers I could suggest, that I don't own, and have many times. But they're all much, much more than $1K/5 channels which is the op's budget.

I'm certainly not going to suggest speakers I've never auditioned, or junk like Blose, or Radio Shack speakers, or other total junk.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
For cheap speakers, I've had good luck with my Infinity Entra One bookshelfs. With my eyes closed, they sound maybe a tad better than my Monitor Audio RS-1's. However, with my eyes open, the RS-1's win every time! They're gorgeous.

A 5.0 Infinity Entra setup could be had fairly cheap...if you can find them. The discountinued Alpha series is good too for being cheap. However if you feel like making wood dust, there's always DIY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts