AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm new to AVS. I've spent over 20 hours reading various posts that have significantly increased my overall audio knowledge - thanks to all for sharing your expertise!

I've decided to upgrade my system and ordered a Denon 2309 (super price) and Emotiva XPA-5 (I made the holiday XPA sale)
. My current system is an HK AVR430 with RTi8's (L&R) + RM3000 satellites + RM3600 Center and a PSW550 in a 7.1 I use my system for 75% video and 25% music.

The Denon 2309 provides Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD HBR codes for my blueray and full HDMI capability. I figured the amp would improve the sounds while supporting an upgrade to my speakers.

My living room is 15 x 20 with a cathedral ceiling (about 25' high).

I'm looking for recommendations for speaker upgrades. I enjoy my RTi8's but an willing to move to entire different line. My budget is around $1500.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I'm ready to order an ED A5 - 350 Subwoofer. It seems like a good buy based on AVS posts. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabite /forum/post/15519641

I should add that I'm ready to order an ED A5 - 350 Subwoofer. It seems like a good buy based on AVS posts. Thoughts?

Thanks!

So what will that leave for the 5.0?

And when you spend time in the subwoofer forum I'm sure you got many recommendations for the usual suspects (SVS, Hsu and eD).

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
So are you wanting to spend $1500 on a 5.1 setup or what exactly? I have listened to a few different brands of speakers and my favorite as of now is B&W CM1 or CM5. Depending on if you would be okay upgrading your fronts now and then upgrading the later as time progresses is up to you. You should be able to get the CM1s and the matching center for right at your budget or maybe slightly over. The CM5 series would add probably $400 or so. I have some Ascend Sierra-1's in the mail right now (hoping I love them) they have gotten great reviews and you can get the front 3 for roughly $1300. They have another speaker model on clearance for considerably cheaper and you would be able to upgrade your entire speaker in that budget if thats what you want to do.

Like I said, I haven't heard the Ascends yet, but they get great reviews...I will know the middle of next week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The $1500 budget is strickly for the 7.0 speakers (excludes the subwoofer). If I retain the Polk RTi8's (fronts), I would need matching 4 each surrounds and 1 center.

One of my friends has Ascends and I'm going to hear them next week. Wouldn't the B&W's be out of my price range? There a local store that carries B&W's and I'll try to hear them in the next few days.

I hope I described this clearly. Thx!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
With Vann's selling off last year's models of Kef Q-series, you can get an awful lot for your money.

- floorstanding, iQ7 (maple, walnut or black), $200 each

- floorstanding, iQ5 (black) $200 each, (walnut) $180 each

- centre, iQ6 (walnut only), $270

- centre, iQ2 (maple, apple or black) $150, (walnut) $100

- bookshelf, iQ3 (maple or black) $250 / pair

- bookshelf, iQ1 (black) $200 / pair

- rear surrounds, iQ8DS, (black) $350 / pair, (walnut, maple) $330 / pair

walnut - $1330

- iQ7 fronts $400

- iQ6 centre $270

- iQ8 surrounds, 2 pair, $660 (or use black iQ3 for one set)

maple - $1210 (or $1130)

- iQ7 fronts $400

- iQ2 centre $150

- iQ8 rears $330

- iQ8 sides $330 (or iQ3 sides $250)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The Ascends could fit in your budget now, depending on which you like more.

You could get the B&W, but more than likely you could only get the front 3 under your budget unless you find them used on audiogon or craigs.

Definately go out and audition, there are alot of differences in speakers. I'm hoping I like the Ascends as much as I did the B&Ws.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Considering the front three are the most important, i'd start with those, keeping the existing satellites for now. After replacing the front three, you can sell off the remaining system and use the funds for the 4 surrounds. $1500 is a healthy budget for the front three. The CMT-340s would be an excellent choice and with the stands right in your budget. The stands could easily be converted to side firing subs as well ( I'm surprised Ascend hasn't done this already!)

As for subwoofers, that's a pretty big space so consider multiple subs to smooth the in room response. Going with multiple sealed subs will increase low freq extension past the performance of a single ported sub as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I find it interesting that, so far, everyone has suggested replacing all of your speakers even though you mentioned that you enjoy your RTi8s. If you enjoy your 8s, why not keep them and just update to the matching center & surrounds? If I were to guess, I would say you started off with the RM7200 5.1 package and added the 8s. If that's the case, that center is WAY too small and is being swallowed by the 8s.

Since you like the 8s, why not just upgrad to the matching CSi5 center and RTi6 surrounds and put the rest of the money you saved into some great sub/subs!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick240 - The Kefs have a good writeup but I cannot locate a place to hear them within 50 miles (that's the extend of the Kef site search) of Austin Tx. Although the price on the Q-series is excellent, it's too riskly to purchase speakers one hasn't been able to demo.

Dogearz - Agree the CSi5 or CSIA6 would make a good center matchup with the RTi8's. How would a Polk Dipole FXi (not sure of the Timbre model) work for the surrounds instead of the RTi6? Would all 4 surrounds be Dipoles? My surround L/R are on the wall behind my sofa and the SB L/R are on end tables.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Louis

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If I recall correctly, it is recommended that surround back L/R speakers be monopoles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After more research that included contacting a couple of audio designers in town, I order the Kefs.

IQ7's (Fronts) Walnut

IQ6 (Center) Walnut

IQ8's (S and SB) Apple

I was unable to find IQ9's other than in black so had to go with walnut IQ7's.

I also upgraded to a Denon 3808Ci

Next step is to cancel the Emotiva XPA5 amp until I can test the Denon and Kefs. I'll order my ED A5-350 Subwoofer(with the free 550 upgrade) next week when I return from my hunting trip.

Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Looking forward to a report after you're all set up.

Should be awesome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts