AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Phil-BMR (Dennis Murphy design)

Driver composition: 7 inch scanspeak woofer, 2 inch BMR midrange and RAAL ribbon tweeter

Cabinet: Parts Express Dayton Audio cabinet in Piano black

Impression, heavy, these speaker weigh about 40 lbs. and are not small bookshelves. The PE cabinet is solid and well braced. While Piano black isn’t my favorite finish, these look very good and the “Murphy modifications” are professionally done, as you would expect. These were “B” stock, so a couple subtle blemishes, but overall and very sturdy and very beautiful speaker.

Specifications: excellent base, the 7” scanspeak is supposedto be flat down to 32 Hz and the RAAL tweeter play up to or even past 38Khz,Dennis did some measurement and it looks to me like you can say +/- 2 db 40hz-40Khz (and beyond, the graph cuts off at 40khz). The BMR is similar to the one used in the Cambridge Audio minx and Aero 2 speaker and has a wider dispersionpattern than most traditional cone mids- they also will be more recessed and not as forward as some traditional cone mids. Dennis did tell me the BMR plays really flat up to 5 KHz, and then gets a bit “off”, so he crossed it at 4 KHz. Not sure how much overlaps there is, but the advantage of the BMR as a mid is that it can play higher than the traditional mid and allow for a slightly higher cross over point with the tweeter, not at the point where the human ear is the most sensitive like many speakers. Not sure the sensitivity, but these get plenty loud w/o a ton of power, so they must be pretty sensitive (I would guess87db, much like the Philharmonitor). The crossovers and internal electronics are all quality Philharmonic designs and parts.

Sound Quality: First, my musical tastes included classic Rock, Classical, some jazz and some weird genres (Cajun Creole folk, Irish folk). Second, I have had a music only set up that has been substandard for the past year or so, have been using low end JBls (JBL130s) so the bar isn’t terribly high.

Really, the thing that just jumps out at you about the Phil-BMR is the highs and the lows (ironically, opposite of most Bose speakers,but I digress). These speakers are capable of very accurate bass down to 40 Hz and maybe lower (I have done no measurements). My Def Tech SM450s are supposed to be able to hit 40 Hz, but I really doubt they get close to that…maybe closerto 50! The Phil-BMR hits much lower and are much more accurate! For Rock, the woofer really sings and gives songs greater depth and feel, but also clarity at thelow end!

For Classical, the Ribbon tweeter really sings and allows you to pick out distinct string plucks and allows the instruments to separate. Absolutely stunning clarity and detail on the high end and I now know that the hype about the RAAL ribbon tweeter is well deserved! The only downside of the ribbon tweeter is can really point out flaws in recordings. Much of the same for Jazz- I am not a huge jazz fan and really cannot even name more than a few artist, most 70/early 80stuff. However, the horns sound crystal clear and very distinct! For Rock, well for most recordings, the woofer will get your attention more than the tweeter. You do hear some really stunning detail in some vocals. The clarity of some of the added affects in Pink Floyd’s music is impressive!

Now, a bunch of speakers have great woofers and more than few have very good ribbon tweeters. What sets this speaker apart from other three way speaker designs is the use of a BMR driver as a mid. I think this is the only speaker made with this driver configuration! For me, the BMR just disappears, which I assume means it is doing its thing without call attention to itself. You don’t listen to this speaker and say “boy, those mids are excellent”…but you sure don’tseem to find anything lacking with the speaker either and the measurements indicate that the BMR is doing its’ thing exceptionally well! I am use to EMPtek speakers, which tend to run a little midrange hot, so I am still getting use to the BMR’s more recessed and subtle midrange.

Okay, so I am a scientist and always look at things through reductionist eyes, but the big picture is that this speaker sounds fantastic. It has been awhile since I have heard a truly flat freq response speaker! I have heard Philharmonic speakers before; my brother owns a pair of second hand PhilSlims. The Ribbon tweeter in those is fantastic, but I would say the one in the Phil-BMR is just as good (might be identical) and the woofer in the Phil-BMR might be better! Is the BMR driver the midrange of the future? Not sure, but itsure makes for one smooth and clear sound in this speaker! Kudos to DennisMurphy!

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Thanks for the review! Looking forward to seeing these come to fruition. Btw, the picture you posted isn't showing up.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, not sure why the image is not showing up! Also, I apologize for the formatting, teach me to make a word document first. I will try to get some images up in a reply!

Pricing, I will have to let Dennis speak to that, since I bought these as "b"stock and these may not be the final cabinet, I cannot say what the final price will be. I will alert him to look for this thread and comment. he did tell me somethings about pricing and what he would like to comp with, but I will let him speak to that.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thanks so much for the review and even starting a new thread. I agree that the BMR radiator may not sound quite like the typical midrange. I think that's mainly due to its extremely broad radiation pattern. One minor correction--my graphs don't go up to 40 kHz, so I don't really know whether the RAAL is flat up to that point. But I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't quite nailed down pricing and availability. There will be different prices depending on the cabinet. I hope to bring the version with the Parts Express cabinets in for less than $1500/pr. I may have found a local cabinet builder to replace (to the extent that he can be replaced) Del Won, and custom cabinets should be available from him and Jim Salk. Those will probably run a couple of hundred dollars more. The BMR monitor is not a replacement for the Philharmonitor, although we've run into shipping problems with the Phil and have had to suspend sales temporarily. The BMR speaker is much larger, goes deeper, has a dedicated midrange, and will be in a different price class.

·
Registered
19,833 Posts
Sorry, not sure why the image is not showing up! Also, I apologize for the formatting, teach me to make a word document first. I will try to get some images up in a reply!
Nice review, just took a little more time to read with the small letters.:)

With the 2 murphy mods that I have listened too - the mids will be on
the linear side - for some people it will be an adjustment. You have to
let the speakers grow on you - it is more about adjustment to the new
sonic sound signature to where you get broken in.

Enjoy your new audio adventure!

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, for whatever reason, I am not able to "upload" an image from my desktop to this page! The only option requires a url address...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I agree that the BMR radiator may not sound quite like the typical midrange. I think that's mainly due to its extremely broad radiation pattern.
Are you saying here that the midrange has a wider pattern because the driver is smaller than the usual mid, or that the BMR has a wider pattern than other 2" wideband drivers, e.g. Aura Whisper, Peerless 830970.?

One thing that does seem neat about the 2" BMR (if the datasheet of the driver I presume you're using is accurate) is that the BMR is significantly more sensitive.

With the 2 murphy mods that I have listened too - the mids will be on the linear side - for some people it will be an adjustment. You have to let the speakers grow on you - it is more about adjustment to the new sonic sound signature to where you get broken in.
Dr. Murphy doesn't seem to "voice" his speakers. He designs them for accuracy. For a lot of people, that will sound "boring" on first listen. That's because there's no flaw to quickly grab the aural imagination. But over the long term IMO unvoiced speakers are the more satisfying listen.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Thanks so much for the review and even starting a new thread. I agree that the BMR radiator may not sound quite like the typical midrange. I think that's mainly due to its extremely broad radiation pattern. One minor correction--my graphs don't go up to 40 kHz, so I don't really know whether the RAAL is flat up to that point. But I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't quite nailed down pricing and availability. There will be different prices depending on the cabinet. I hope to bring the version with the Parts Express cabinets in for less than $1500/pr. I may have found a local cabinet builder to replace (to the extent that he can be replaced) Del Won, and custom cabinets should be available from him and Jim Salk. Those will probably run a couple of hundred dollars more. The BMR monitor is not a replacement for the Philharmonitor, although we've run into shipping problems with the Phil and have had to suspend sales temporarily. The BMR speaker is much larger, goes deeper, has a dedicated midrange, and will be in a different price class.
Sounds like the Sierra-2 will have some serious competition!

Okay, for whatever reason, I am not able to "upload" an image from my desktop to this page! The only option requires a url address...
Yeah go to www.imgur.com and upload the image, then you can link to it in the forum. I believe you can still upload an attachment with the paperclip icon.

Reactions: 65 Electra Glide

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Are you saying here that the midrange has a wider pattern because the driver is smaller than the usual mid, or that the BMR has a wider pattern than other 2" wideband drivers, e.g. Aura Whisper, Peerless 830970.?

One thing that does seem neat about the 2" BMR (if the datasheet of the driver I presume you're using is accurate) is that the BMR is significantly more sensitive.

Dr. Murphy doesn't seem to "voice" his speakers. He designs them for accuracy. For a lot of people, that will sound "boring" on first listen. That's because there's no flaw to quickly grab the aural imagination. But over the long term IMO unvoiced speakers are the more satisfying listen.
Any 2" driver should have excellent dispersion over the range I use it. In theory, the bending motion of the BMR provides better dispersion at higher frequencies because a smaller area of the radiating surface is activated. All I can say is that there is almost no difference in response between on axis and waaaaay off axis.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow im looking forward for this to be compared with sierr2 r they both raal Tweeter?

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Reactions: Transmaniacon

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the poor quality image....it doesn't do this speaker justice! Anyway, how it looks is not its best trait, but I will take a better quality image tonight.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
That certainly is a substantial speaker!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wow im looking forward for this to be compared with sierr2 r they both raal Tweeter?
The tweeter is the OEM version of the design Dave commissioned for the Sierra 2. The parameters may not be exactly the same, however. RAAL custom winds the transformer to function as a parallel inductor in the client's specific crossover. There may be other differences that are proprietary. All I know is that it looks like a RAAL and sounds like a RAAL.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slightly better image quality!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts