AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house we just moved into has a 20' by 20' living room with 4 ceiling speakers - NHT IC2s (set up as forward L/R and back L/R). I am happy enough with the NHT IC2s for now, so I plan to keep them. To complete a 5.1 system I will need to purchase a sub and a center speaker. I am also close to pulling the trigger on the Denon 3808CI to drive the system.

This system will be mainly used for movies and music.

I would like to keep the budget for sub and center under $1000.

Since most stores I have tried don't have NHT IC2s to listen to in conjunction with different subs and centers, I wanted to get some advice on the best approach to selecting the remaining speakers

- Should I pick a center and sub that work well together and just hope for the best with how they sound with the NHT IC2s?

- Are there good versatile sub and center speakers that will work with most other systems?

- Any specific recommendations - sure could use the help!

Thanks!

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Actually, you'll need to purchase a pair of front left and right mains, a sub and a center for 7.1. or 5.1 depending of the location of all the in ceilings. Don't waste your time with the in ceilings for front L/R duty.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So - if I do decided to get new front L/R, center, and a sub - given the placement of the existing forward ceiling speakers (see attachment) are they in a good position to be used as the side L/R speakers in a 7.1 setup?

Or do they need to be moved back more?

I am hoping to use as much of the existing equipment where it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.