AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay AVSers, I've got a design in place for placement, with help from Scout's Staff and jrm21 in my first thread . I will leave you all with an excerpt of my final design.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Notice blocks with circles atop them, the center of those circles would be like the center of a person's head (which allows for the least-complex measurement from speaker to listening area [ears]).

And here is a sort of top-down view:

[/quote]

Okay so I've decided I should move onto selecting speakers and Scout's Staff suggested I use Monoprice the reason being, I can always upgrade to audiophilic speakers later. What I'm really concerned with now, for this thread, are speakers. I will give you all my speaker selection now, I want your input, feedback, and suggestions.

I suppose my real questions are;
  • How do you match timbre?
  • What are good speaker sizes for FL, FR, SL, and SR speakers?
  • Which speaker manufacturers do you suggest for a basic home theater?
  • Based on my design, what type of speakers do you suggest?

I've got my front center to be underneath the plasma screen mounted above a fireplace mantle, FL, FR, SL, SR speakers are all in-ceiling. Subwoofer will be front left corner (most likely) I am not concerned about great bass response. I'm afraid that all these questions are already answered, but to have a central location for them to hang out would be nice. An exception of centralization; forums.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
To each their own - may you enjoy your system.

I also ask, why a $60 subwoofer?

Also, I would never do in-ceiling for the front channels and also, not

in-ceiling for the fronts with a center below the screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24552262

Why on $60 on a subwoofer? That is hardly going to give you any bass what so ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24552473

To each their own - may you enjoy your system.

I also ask, why a $60 subwoofer?

Also, I would never do in-ceiling for the front channels and also, not

in-ceiling for the fronts with a center below the screen.

crazyrob425 and zieglij01, I'm not concerned with great bass response but obviously you both and possibly others aren't partial to a 60USD PSW. Perhaps someone can suggest a bare-minimum PSW for a basic 5.1 home theater. I don't know my budget yet because unlike computer parts, I don't understand the price / performance ratio of comparing speakers, I understand inexpensive and expensive! Perhaps through this experience of reading about home theaters I can gather information and make better choices for my future.

zieglij01, considering my design restrictions, the X on both sides of the plasma (that is above a fireplace) are places I can't put speakers.

You can read the evolution of my design on my Need Input on Basic Theatre thread. I'm just debating, here, about which speakers I should buy, not where to place them. I've read the front speakers should all be aligned on a single plane but I think the forward-firing in-wall front center speaker is a better choice on placement. I've demontrated how I thought in-wall FL and FR speakers might be ideal, but I've learned, with Scout's Staff's help that in-wall speakers actually weren't ideal. You can read all this in my first thread but I thought I would just give you a summary of why I've decided to go with in-ceiling speakers instead of in-wall (for FL and FR).

So I've gotten past placement, I'm concerned now with which speakers to choose and how to choose them, which ones are moderate sounding for a basic home theatre setup.

Thank you both though for your concern. However, I'm more interested in choices and feedback.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Honestly you got way too many numbers and measurements which are nice to look at they aren't really helpful.

Your room appears to be very open and probably 16.75 x 16. Assume an 8' ceiling that is 2200 cu. ft. And your room appears to be open. $60 on a subwoofer will get you nothing in terms of performance. At minimum the recommended subwoofer for ANYONE is around $200 anything else gets you nothing in terms of bass.

Not a fan of in ceiling speakers for the front but at least yours are angled to you, but its not going to help much IMHO

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Hope things work out for you and that you can enjoy.

Not a fan of in-ceiling for the fronts, regardless of a type of angle and that low center channel. The sound

still comes from above and is limited range, and can be distracting and annoying as the sound pans from

left to right, or right to left. There is still a lot of sound that comes from the left and right channels.

I do not have recommendations for front in-ceiling speakers - I prefer only to recommend for surrounds.

My preference due to limitations, would be flat panel speakers with the TV.

I will let others recommend budget subs - I tend to recommend from $300 on up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crazyrob425 and zieglj01, please check out my response to your suggestions on my Need Input on Basic Home Theatre - 5.1 thread.

We can discuss your concerns with my design there and perhaps I will make adjustments to my design. Afterward, I will still come back to here and get input on speakers. Also a $200 subwoofer is out of my budget for now, I will allow for a subwoofer to be used in the future but for now, I can't use a PSW because it's not a bare essential to a surround system; I'm sure it's debatable. Scratch the subwoofer. I might find one online for sale that I can use.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Get the speakers you want. Monoprice makes a decent budget speaker.

But without a set budget by you we can't tell you anything better within your budget.

I can tell you that every in-ceiling front speaker set-up I heard I hated and felt my Polk RM6750 did a better job with its 2 small satelites and small center for the front speakers

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyTheGreat  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24555732

crazyrob425 and zieglj01, please check out my response to your suggestions on my Need Input on Basic Home Theatre - 5.1 thread.

Already read it - not much for me to say, since one is going to have a china cabinet on the right and

an entertainment center to the left - and a TV in the middle of the 2.

You seem to have designed yourself into these restrictions - with audio being a second priority.

Have fun and enjoy your Monoprice system.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
benny, I hope you take crazyrob's and zieg's advice to heart. They are trying to get you the best sound.

You have designed the space without much consideration to the speakers. If you want a "basic" home theater, you've pretty much have gotten that....5 speakers (and I would say a subwoofer is necessary). Then there is speaker placement...no home theater is going to sound "correct" with speakers in the ceiling...that may be blunt, but it is also true.

I will also add, in regards to design, that the TV is in a poor ergonomic position. It should not be above the viewing position (when seated). When seated, eye height should fall in the bottom half of the TV (some say the bottom third). I realize it is above the fireplace...and I realize it is for aesthetic reasons. Aesthetics should also consider ergonomics....form vs function.

You have created a nice space that has caused serious restrictions/compromises(to folks that appreciate good sound) in regards to an HT setup.

If the space is not already built, and you want a good home theater experience as well, I suggest a redesign....the two are not mutually exclusive, and a design can be made that is just as appealing and will sound much better than your current design.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Cheap in wall/ceiling speakers will make your theater sound like it is in an elevator, if that is what you are looking for! If you want decent in wall speakers, they should come with enclosures and won't likely come at anywhere near the price as most monoprice speakers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24555916

You have created a nice space that has caused serious restrictions/compromises(to folks that appreciate good sound) in regards to an HT setup.

If the space is not already built, and you want a good home theater experience as well, I suggest a redesign....the two are not mutually exclusive, and a design can be made that is just as appealing and will sound much better than your current design.

cschang, please reply to my response on my design thread .

I was hoping to avoid such a mix up, everyone here can consider this as a real challenge of how to orient my design around the plasma being above the fireplace in this home.

If you have any design suggestions, submit them to my design thread .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24556210

Cheap in wall/ceiling speakers will make your theater sound like it is in an elevator, if that is what you are looking for! If you want decent in wall speakers, they should come with enclosures and won't likely come at anywhere near the price as most monoprice speakers.

I see, well this thread pooped out really quick but which speakers might you suggest that are inexpensive but supposedly better than Monoprice?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24564854

First, I have no experience with in wall...but usually those that do recommend enclosures!

Def Tech
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rss-ii

Klipsch
http://www.klipsch.com/kl-7800-thx-in-wall-speaker

as a couple examples of speakers with enclosures at the cheaper end of the price range. you quickly get the sense that bookshelf speakers can be a lot cheaper...

I'm searching for the reply who suggested a 3-channel sound bar, I do believe that is the best route for my home theater system.

Thank you and everyone else for opinions, knowledge, feedback, suggestions, it's all very helpful.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyTheGreat  /t/1525177/speaker-selection-for-5-1-input-feedback-suggestions#post_24592660

I'm searching for the reply who suggested a 3-channel sound bar, I do believe that is the best route for my home theater system.

Thank you and everyone else for opinions, knowledge, feedback, suggestions, it's all very helpful.

This is it
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosp400ba/boston-acoustics-p400-soundbar-speaker-black-new/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/cache/image/1/7/f/6/6134.Jpg

http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/cache/image/1/7/f/7/6135.Jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts