1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question

My set up is

Paradigm Studio 100s mains and Studio CC570 center 7 inch mids and 7 inch bass

my surrounds are two old Sansui towers S1117 with dual 12 inch/ 4 inch mid and 1 inch tweet temporary until I get the ADP studios

the sensitivity on the studios are 91db room and 88db anechoic

the sensitivity on the Sansuis are 92, does not say room or anechoic

when setting the speaker levels I have to turn the sansuis to - 12 db (the lowest) and the Studios at - 5 leaving a 7db difference, and the main volume at -5 this gives me 75db spl I could not use 0 on the main volume because this takes the Sansuis to 80db with no more adjustment left below -12 on the Sansuis

The same was true when I had the Paradigm Monitor 11s which are rated at 94db room and 91 anechoic, even more sensitive than the Sansuis but the Sansuis were still louder by about the same dbs,

My question is how can they be so much louder with those ratings, (very small difference) between the Studios and Sansuis, and in the case of the Monitors they were more sensitive or at least the same depending on how Sansui measured, IE room or anechoic

I am using NAD T773 to drive them any thoughts on why those old (23 years) towers are so much louder?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Are you using your Rat Shack SPL meter? How close are you sitting from the speakers? I sit alot closer to my rears than my fonts, so my rears are 3db down from my fronts--Studio 20's

Yours seems a bit on the extreme side of adjustments though. Have you tried switching front speaks to rear at the back of the reciever to see if your Studios are louder?

On another note, how do you like your NAD? I have had 2 of their recievers(stereo) and very much enjoyed them. I am now entertaining the idea of another one for HT.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the NAD T773 it is very dynamic and clean imho my previous one was HK avr525 very nice also, it is going for repair to volume issue, I'll miss the Logic 7 on HK but this NAD model is more watts

My Sansuis will sound louder no matter where they go I reccognize the closer distance to the Sansuis but as you said it is extreme so looking at the specs it is confusing a bit

someone told me that older speaker draw more power but I don't think that should matter 92 db is 92 db correct maybe I'm wrong, I love my Studios with the NAD combo.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Sensitivity changes with the age of speakers and is different in each room. The only way to properly tell is to measure with a meter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingndrooling
Are you using your Rat Shack SPL meter? :D
Sorry I forgot to say yes. RS digital spl meter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.