AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, but I've been trying to bend my mind around this for a few days now. Is sensitivity a double-edged sword?

I'm thinking about sensitivity as a mechanical lever. In doing so, I have a problem understanding whether such a speaker would be less "accurate." For example, would it require a higher damping factor to keep it in-line? A very low-sensitivity speaker will be apt to follow exactly what the amplifier tells it much more-so than a high-sensitivity speaker, right? Think of it like a sealed vs. ported subwoofer. It may require more power to achieve the same SPL with a sealed sub, but it'll be more accurate.

Is there any literature on this subject? Does it work at all the way I'm imagining?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
High sensitivity transducers tend to have very light diaphragms and very strong motors. That's how they get their high sensitivity.

I have a few different horns and compression drivers that are in the 115db/w/m range and they have incredible transient response, even at very low listening levels (55db).

The down side is the cost and the size, not the performance. But I'm sure there are many, many examples of really cheap and crappy sounding high efficiency speakers... think cheap PA.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
I am not sure there's a correlation between sound quality and sensitivity. Planer dynamics and electrostatic speakers are among the most inefficient and measure best, with outstanding pulse performance. The same can be said of many top-notch horn speakers, which are also among the most efficient. There are a lot of variables...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.