AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a new system...and still trying to learn as much as possible.

One of the things I'm most disappointed in with my HTIB, is the volume. I can turn it to max at 3 AM and not get the cops called on me (I like to listen to my music loud), I would also like for my system to sound really well.

When I'm looking at speakers, I see something like the Klipsh KF-28, with a sensitivity of 98 dB and then a speaker like the Rti A7 with a sensitivity of 90 dB. Would the Klipsh be substantially louder than the Polks?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If the numbers are real (some say that the lower Klipsch speakers have inflated numbers) then 7 dB difference corresponds to a 5-fold difference in power: 5 Watts into the Rti A7 will play as loud as 1 Watt in the KF-28, 100 Watts into the Rti A7 will play as loud as 20 Watts in the KF-28...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1417005/speaker-sensitivity#post_22158170

Klipsch rates the RB-81 at 97db sensitivity. However, they seem to have

inflated that one
Only by 6dB.

OP, don't believe any SPL and response figures that aren't accompanied by a measured SPL chart. It's not possible to know sensitivity and response without measuring the cab, so if no charts are available either the manufacturer is creating the specs out of thin air or they don't want you to see the charts. The fact that Klipsch doesn't post charts and does post spurious specs no doubt has Paul Klipsch doing cartwheels in his grave.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
OTOH, Klipschorns are about right at 104-105, coincidentally about the same as Bill's Tuba HT in my room (below 80 Hz).

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/1417005/speaker-sensitivity#post_22158489

OTOH, Klipschorns are about right at 104-105
Sure, because PK actually measured them when he invented them circa 1945, and their sensitivity and response is well known. I bet if they thought they could get away with it the current management would be claiming 112dB down to 30Hz.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Hmmm... The times I met him Paul was a pretty no-nonsense guy, can't imagine he'd like fudging the specs...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50  /t/1417005/speaker-sensitivity#post_22158713

Hmmm... The times I met him Paul was a pretty no-nonsense guy, can't imagine he'd like fudging the specs...
He had a pin that said 'Bull...." on the inside of his lapel, which he'd flash when he heard pitches that smelled of same. I have a feeling that if he toured Klipsch HQ today that pin would be affixed to the outside of his lapel. He had a reputation as a bit of an eccentric, but no one ever questioned his integrity.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1417005/speaker-sensitivity#post_22158368

Only by 6dB.
While I may not be a big Klipsch fan, I expected better than this - and this is not the only

Reference speaker that is inflated.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I have never seen a single HTIB that wasn't pretty much a joke.

If you want real sound, you need to get some real speakers. A 88-90db sensitivity should give you a lot of sound, unless your receiver is wimpy; what receiver are you using?

I would never recommend Klipsch speakers to anyone, except for the big Klipschhorn speakers.

KEF, PSB, Monitor Audio, and Anthony Gallo all make some speakers that will put out high-quality sound and plenty of it. I suggest you look at them for a new system.

Check out the KEF Direct website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkxbb  /t/1417005/speaker-sensitivity#post_22158061

So I'm in the market for a new system...and still trying to learn as much as possible.

One of the things I'm most disappointed in with my HTIB, is the volume. I can turn it to max at 3 AM and not get the cops called on me (I like to listen to my music loud), I would also like for my system to sound really well.

When I'm looking at speakers, I see something like the Klipsh KF-28, with a sensitivity of 98 dB and then a speaker like the Rti A7 with a sensitivity of 90 dB. Would the Klipsh be substantially louder than the Polks?

Thanks...

·
Registered
28,727 Posts
gbkxbb,

Yes with the 8db higher sensitivity the Klipsch would be much louder than the Polk at the same volume. The doesn't mean it sounds better though.

First you should listen to as many different speakers as you can. The Klipsch sound with the horn tweeters isn't for everyone.

How big is the room? What equipment do you currently have? You may need a better receiver too. Most HTIB's are pretty low end as far as performance is concerned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts