AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Philips HTL9100/79 soundbar is starting to fail and before I pull the trigger on parts I'm thinking about a home theater setup and wanted to get your advice.

Devices I have right now are:

• Samsung 60" TV (UA60H6400ASXRD)
  • Apple 4K TV
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Logitech Harmony remote
This setup would be for movies primarily (Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+). Not interested in sports or Freeview TV content. Music runs off the Sonos system around the house.

I'm looking to have a 5.1.2 or a 5.1.4 Atmos enabled setup that use up-firing speakers (we rent, so ceiling speakers and drilling holes are not do-able).

It's an L shaped room with a 4m wide x 4.5m long for the living area (TV on wide end in center), and the dining area part of the L off to the back right if you are looking away from the TV.

Brand wise I was looking at Q Acoustics, Onkyo, Yamaha, Jamo, SVS. We previously had Definitive towers when we were in Canada, and I use Q Acoustics bookshelf with an SVS sub with my PC.

Budget for around $2-5k NZD ideally, weighing most of it towards the speakers and finding a simple amp (don't care for AirPlay, Chromecast, etc... - just take audio off the line and push it out to the speakers, maybe self-tuning the sound?)

Where would you recommend starting as far as a decent entry to mid-range system that would be available in AU/NZ?

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
My Philips HTL9100/79 soundbar is starting to fail and before I pull the trigger on parts I'm thinking about a home theater setup and wanted to get your advice.

Devices I have right now are:

• Samsung 60" TV (UA60H6400ASXRD)
  • Apple 4K TV
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Logitech Harmony remote
This setup would be for movies primarily (Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+). Not interested in sports or Freeview TV content. Music runs off the Sonos system around the house.

I'm looking to have a 5.1.2 or a 5.1.4 Atmos enabled setup that use up-firing speakers (we rent, so ceiling speakers and drilling holes are not do-able).

It's an L shaped room with a 4m wide x 4.5m long for the living area (TV on wide end in center), and the dining area part of the L off to the back right if you are looking away from the TV.

Brand wise I was looking at Q Acoustics, Onkyo, Yamaha, Jamo, SVS. We previously had Definitive towers when we were in Canada, and I use Q Acoustics bookshelf with an SVS sub with my PC.

Budget for around $2-5k NZD ideally, weighing most of it towards the speakers and finding a simple amp (don't care for AirPlay, Chromecast, etc... - just take audio off the line and push it out to the speakers, maybe self-tuning the sound?)

Where would you recommend starting as far as a decent entry to mid-range system that would be available in AU/NZ?
To do 5.1.4 you'll need a 9 channel AVR and those are likely quite expensive in NZ. You can't do an HT setup without a good sub like an SVS PB-2000 which is likely your best option. For the speakers, can you share a link or two so we know what is available to you within your budget?

·
Registered
17,027 Posts

Audio prices being astronomical in NZ, I'd start with 5.2 and add 2-4 Atmos speakers only later.

Unless you seldom watching big budget action/thriller movies, don't cheap out on the sub. Check prices for SVS and (available in Australia, not sure about NZ) Krix subs.

For HT, I'd stick with bookshelves --- towers are an aesthetic/visual preference not a functional necessity.

Try to keep the receiver cost at 20-30% of your total budget, max. Overspending on the receiver and superfluous towers while cheaping out on the sub(s) is an all too common newbie mistake.

And try to get a good 3 way center speaker with woofers no smaller than 5"---the center does at least 2/3 of your total HT output and 98% of the dialogue, so it's the true backbone of any HT setup.

Of the brands you listed, I'd expect Jamo to provide the best price-to-performance ratio and SVS the worst (for speakers).

Are JBL and Klipsch available where you are?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great notes so far, thanks. Here's what I'm thinking based on the feedback:

• Dial back to a 5.1 system, ideally that can support Atmos and a second sub at a later point to save dollars in the first round
  • Bookshelf for front L/R and rear L/R
  • Ensure the center has 5" speaker
  • Sub such as a SVS PC-2000 Pro, PB-2000 (assuming ported is the desired quality for HT?)
We do have Jamo, SVS, Klipsch, KEF, Monitor, Q Acoustics available in the country. Looking across Klipsch, Jamo, Q, and others it's hard to know what to do for the center/left/rights so any starter suggestions are greatly appreciated!

One configuration I've thought about:

• KEF Q350 for Front L/R
  • KEF Q250c for Center
  • KEF Q150 for Rear L/R
  • SVS PC-2000 (Pro) or PB-2000 for sub
or a little cheaper is:

• Q Acoustics 3090Ci for center
  • Q Acoustics 3020i for Front/Rear L/R
  • SVS PC-2000 for Sub

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
  • KEF Q350 for Front L/R
  • KEF Q250c for Center
  • KEF Q150 for Rear L/R
  • SVS PC-2000 for Sub
I'd take the KEF setup to avoid the 3090 center.

With the SVS sub, I'd take whichever one is cheaper since their performance would be comparable...and yes, for HT you definitely want ported over sealed designs.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts

• Dial back to a 5.1 system, ideally that can support Atmos and a second sub at a later point to save dollars in the first round
  • Sub such as a SVS PC-2000 Pro, PB-2000 (assuming ported is the desired quality for HT?)
We do have Jamo, SVS, Klipsch, KEF, Monitor, Q Acoustics available in the country. Looking across Klipsch, Jamo, Q, and others it's hard to know what to do for the center/left/rights so any starter suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• KEF Q350 for Front L/R
  • KEF Q250c for Center
  • KEF Q150 for Rear L/R
or a little cheaper is:

• SVS PC-2000 for Sub
Solid choices.

How about adding Australian made Krix to the mix?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about adding Australian made Krix to the mix?
See if you can get XTZ subs in NZ.

Can't find either Krix or XTZ in a retail shop here.

I'd take the KEF setup to avoid the 3090 center.

Why avoid the Q Acoustics 3090Ci center?

The KEF Q250c would require a different AV cabinet as my current one only supports about 45cm width and the 250c is 52.5cm wide.

There is also a price difference at the moment:

• Q Acoustics 3090Ci + 3020i + 3010i = $1,297
  • KEF Q250c + Q350 + Q150 = $1,847
What I liked about the KEF option was the clear step to add the Atmos units with the Q50a. With the Q Acoustics setup it isn't as clear as their only option requires ceiling mount which I cannot do in a rental place. What I'm reading is people are adding Cambridge Audio Minx M12 as the Atmos up-firing channel as one approach.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

• KEF Q350 for Front L/R
  • KEF Q250c for Center
  • KEF Q150 for Rear L/R
or a little cheaper is:

• SVS PC-2000 for Sub
KEF, easily.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts

The KEF Q250c would require a different AV cabinet as my current one only supports about 45cm width and the 250c is 52.5cm wide.

What I liked about the KEF option was the clear step to add the Atmos units with the Q50a. With the Q Acoustics setup it isn't as clear as their only option requires ceiling mount which I cannot do in a rental place. What I'm reading is people are adding Cambridge Audio Minx M12 as the Atmos up-firing channel as one approach.
I home demoed the 3090 a few years ago and found it to sound boxy and small, due to its puny 4" woofers. Some people have had good luck with it, though. Your call if you want to chance it.

The center speaker is the true backbone/workhorse of any HT setup since it does at least 70% of the output and 98% of the dialogue. If you have to find a way to raise to your TV (wall mounting is ideal) or get a different cabinet, it's worth it 100% ... the center is the LAST place you want to cut corners, followed by the sub. You'd be better off buying a second pair of 3020 to use one as the center, especially if you can have that 3rd 3020 standing up. I did that when I was home auditioning the QAs and found the 3020 to be a far better center than the 3090.

Personally, I'd get the KEF Q350 + Q250C, and for the rears use whatever costs the least---the rears do a lousy 5-15% of the output, mostly just ambient/spatial effects, so they can be anything and they can be from a different brand if it saves you a significant amount. The Q150 are great speakers in fact very overqualified as rears. The 3010 or something that size would be fine as rears.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts

There is also a price difference at the moment:

I have had 5.1 since the mid 80s, way before most on AVS and before such things as center channels and AVRs existed and I would not consider upgrading to Atmos unless I could do in ceiling speakers or speakers near the ceiling/roof junction.

I'm waiting for my current non Atmos receiver to die before moving to that format as to be honest, 5.1 is excellent in and of itself.

The Q Acoutsics center has a lot of support from owners though Zorba did not like it but at the time he was using an AVR without EQ which should help with different rooms.

Sound & Vision tested the original 3090i center and I have not seen a better measuring center within its frequency range ever in that publication.

So I think it's worth a try especially as you have space limitations.

Interesting that Krix is not available in nearby New Zealand.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
XTZ, you may have to go through a distributor, if they have one in your neck of the woods. Alternatively, order direct from the company web site. You are not going to find it in any retail shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had 5.1 since the mid 80s, way before most on AVS and before such things as center channels and AVRs existed and I would not consider upgrading to Atmos unless I could do in ceiling speakers or speakers near the ceiling/roof junction.

I'm waiting for my current non Atmos receiver to die before moving to that format as to be honest, 5.1 is excellent in and of itself.

The Q Acoutsics center has a lot of support from owners though Zorba did not like it but at the time he was using an AVR without EQ which should help with different rooms.

Sound & Vision tested the original 3090i center and I have not seen a better measuring center within its frequency range ever in that publication.

So I think it's worth a try especially as you have space limitations.

Interesting that Krix is not available in nearby New Zealand.
According to their website, it looks like there is a distributor on the North Island - might be worth checking out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts