AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need a good 5.1 setup now to compliment the rest of my setup.

I am projecting onto a white wall that is 15' wide by about 12' tall. There is nothing else on the wall (totally blank). So here is what I am thinking and just want some thoughts.

1. Low profile speakers would be nice. I don't need perfect sound, I am just looking for pretty good sound. I wonder if white would be better to go along with the "stealth" look and the blank wall? I am renting so no cutting into the walls.

2. Should I place the speakers above the projected image, below, or combination. My current thought is to place the two "side" speakers and center channel at a height of about 10-11' and the sub about 1' off the floor. This is more of an aesthetic or coolness issue than anything else.

3. Where are good places to buy, a good brand, etc? I can spring for about $600-$800 for all 5 speakers...maybe more if the setup fits my needs real well.

So my priorities are aesthetics and then sound quality. Thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozer2k /forum/post/14172499

1. Low profile speakers would be nice. I don't need perfect sound, I am just looking for pretty good sound. I wonder if white would be better to go along with the "stealth" look and the blank wall? I am renting so no cutting into the walls.

Search here for on-wall speakers. A lot of good selections; Energy, Monitor, etc. Budget will severely restrict you, though. Look into these:
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...-panel-speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozer2k /forum/post/14172499

2. Should I place the speakers above the projected image, below, or combination. My current thought is to place the two "side" speakers and center channel at a height of about 10-11' and the sub about 1' off the floor. This is more of an aesthetic or coolness issue than anything else.

Why 10 feet high? If you can swing it, mount L and R directly to the side of the projected image, keeping drivers as close to ear level as possible. I would put the center below the image (closer to ear level as well).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the flexibility of making the image different sizes. So that being said, I would prefer to either have the speakers above or below the potential screen area. Admittedly side would probably give better performance, but I just cannot commit to a screen size even horiz location.

I am wondering about those Bose small cube speakers. I had always heard bad things, but maybe they would be good enough.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The Bose are actually painful to listen too.

A minimum 6 inch 2 way speaker all around would be OK to experiment with economically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts