AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal for speakers to be larger than the base of the speaker stand it's sitting on? this is for rear surround speakers. the base of my speakers is rougly 12"x8". the bases of most stands i'm looking at are like 4"x4" or 6"x6".

my requirements for a speaker stand are as follows:

40" tall

a top base that i can set a speaker that has a 12"x8" footprint

spikes

either very heavy or able to fill with shot/sand

optional:

cable management

anyone know of a stand that fits the bill here? i've been all over the net and can't find anything.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Yes, it is normal. Most people don't want to see the base plate sticking out. Blue tack and sand will give you stability...

John

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just got my first bookshelf speakers and some stands. I too was surprised as how small the plate on the stand was. I just got some wood at Lowes and cut it a little bigger than the stock plates, screwd them down, used and blue tak, and I'm in business.

Jerry

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sc0rp10n
is it normal for speakers to be larger than the base of the speaker stand it's sitting on? this is for rear surround speakers. the base of my speakers is rougly 12"x8". the bases of most stands i'm looking at are like 4"x4" or 6"x6".

my requirements for a speaker stand are as follows:

40" tall

a top base that i can set a speaker that has a 12"x8" footprint

spikes

either very heavy or able to fill with shot/sand

optional:

cable management

anyone know of a stand that fits the bill here? i've been all over the net and can't find anything.
I too was surprised about how small the base was. But the pads that came with the stands keep the speakers in place (won't 'slip'). After several days now, it doesn't appear to be an issue. I think having a base bigger than the speakers is a psychological thing that gives us the impression of stability. It ain't true unless you are worried about kids and/or people bumping against it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
It ain't true unless you are worried about kids and/or people bumping against it.
There isn't a stand made (sand / shot filled or unfilled) that can resist a NFL-style tackle from a rambunctious 3 year old or canine attack from a 70 lb. Rottweiler. If those are your concerns, better to go with floor standers or behind couch placement...

John

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Audio Advisor sells the Target FS100 40" stand that is sand-fillable for One Ben Franklin + shipping. The top base plate is 6" x 6", so I don't know if that is big enough for the speaker you have in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.