AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$99.99 in FRYS !! $107 after tax, lot cheaper than mount ! haha!

you can raise or lower the bar, goes up to 5 feet even ! and it has 4 pointer feet on the bottom, you can raise or lower those to balance the projector as well, I just used 4 small mounting square tape to secure it, works perfect !

·
Registered
76 Posts
About the stands.

The stand are really small, does the AE-100 sit firmly on the socket. The socket (top of the stand) seems very small. What about mounting a plate or something, and then place the AE-100 on top of it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been looking at the pipe & flange DIY ceiling mounts & decided that two or four screws into a single 2x4 with a 6 lb. weight on a 12 inch lever arm wasn't going to cut it in a strong earthquake or bump when I forget & talk with my hands (I'm 6' 3" so the pj will be only 1' over my head when standing).

This mount doesn't look too earthquake safe & all the Fry's I know about are in California. Maybe they've expanded?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought in in SAN DIEGO, hardly any earthquake here, and I use 4 mounting tape to secure the projector on each corner, mounting tape can hold more than 20 pounds of weights, and it's very steady on there believe or not, if I need to take it off, It comes off easy also, I would suggest valcrow next time, probably easier than tape in case you need to change the filters and ...etc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A single 2x4 will be a little weak. But if you have access you can put a larger board or a 4x4 something like that across 2 beams. I've done that and I think it should be strong enough. I've hung onto it with my self and it held me, 160 lbs, so I think it should hold a 6 pound projector.

Quote:
Originally posted by morganw
I've been looking at the pipe & flange DIY ceiling mounts & decided that two or four screws into a single 2x4 with a 6 lb. weight on a 12 inch lever arm wasn't going to cut it in a strong earthquake or bump when I forget & talk with my hands (I'm 6' 3" so the pj will be only 1' over my head when standing).

This mount doesn't look too earthquake safe & all the Fry's I know about are in California. Maybe they've expanded?

·
Registered
728 Posts
pretty cool idea - don't people's head get in the way?

If you're making a home-made mount (upside down especially) consider if you will have to take it down occasionally. I do when I go out of town frequently, and the Chief mount for my XW15 requires loosening 4 knurled nuts, disconnecting power and component cables, and its down. Also the mount allows filter removal with the projector hanging in place. Plus its adjutable in 3 axis.

At the time $179 sounded steep just to hang a 5 lb projector, but its so convienent I'm glad I bought it. Plus I can sleep at night not thinking if my $2000 projector might free fall 7 feet to the ground.... really its overdesigned (bet the thing could lift a car) but within reason.

Just some things to consider...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.