AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions to re-enforce floor standing speaker stands, specifically Sanus BF-31's from my kids. I thought about velcro on the bottom(hardwood floors) would make it harder for them to just topple over.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you want to stick one side of a velcro pad to your floor and another to speaker stand base, what you have to consider is the nature of your floor finish. If this is a factory-prefinished floor, the finish is usually superhard, 10+ layer, UV baked, and likely aluminum oxide coated on top. Could take and hold the adhesive fairly well.

If your floor is the kind that's installed bare and finished on-site,this finish will readily peel. It might hold well for a little while, but soon as someone pushes a stand, it'll topple,, taking a chunk of floor finish with it. If you have an inconspicious piece of floor to try this, stick a small piece of '24 hour' masking tape to the floor, and try removing it in 2-3 days. If the finish comes with the tape, velcro(or any adhesive-based solition - like mounting tape) won't fare any better.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
How about these.

I actually decided on towers for that very reason. The only real thing I could think of without actually attaching them to the floor would be to make the stands as heavy as possible. Can you fill them with something?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have encountered an another problem in my search for speaker stands. The stands I have been looking at for Onkyo HT-S9100THX don't have a way of actually securing the speakers.

With 3 kids I'm looking for the best way of having secured speakers. I wish I could mount them on the wall but that option isn't best. We live in Air Force base housing, and a couple of our mounting walls are concrete block.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat /forum/post/17004160

I have encountered an another problem in my search for speaker stands. The stands I have been looking at for Onkyo HT-S9100THX don't have a way of actually securing the speakers.

With 3 kids I'm looking for the best way of having secured speakers. I wish I could mount them on the wall but that option isn't best. We live in Air Force base housing, and a couple of our mounting walls are concrete block.

Concrete block is pretty easy, actually. Easier, IMO, than trying to figure out the stands.

A $5 drill bit, some anchors, and you're good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts