AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I have to ask but with the crazy high prices and bad reviews lots of speaker Stands have:
Are they all created Equally ?
Mounting will be JBL 530's which are almost 20 lb's a piece.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UUAOLA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, they are not created equal, but it often means spending more than I feel is necessary. I bought these at around $168 (price is all over the map -- I've seen these as low as $136 / pair on Amazon). And these are excellent stands with 2 cable raceways (I assume for active speakers) and a larger channel for sand or shot. BTW, congratulations on your JBL Studio 530s!

·
The Village Idiot
9,714 Posts
If you have a few skills with hand tools and don't mind DIY why not make yourself a pair? I've seen some nice DIY stands over the years that took little time and materials. A large 20-30" piece of plastic pipe and two pieces of plywood with a big all-thread down the center works pretty good.

Remember the old kitchen chairs with a single column - four outrigger legs with metal pads - and swiveled? I made a pair of speaker stands out of two of those many years ago. I had more time than money and a couple of kids - and two kitchen chairs extra and a family of four with six chairs! They looked great. I used thick plywood for the base and put 4 screws into the speaker's bottom sides to hold them in place. I painted them flat black. I used them for a few years before buying some towers. I sold the speakers with the stands attached. The guy who bought them thought they were factory. Yeah - chair factory!

·
Premium Member
8,896 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UUAOLA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, they are not created equal, but it often means spending more than I feel is necessary. I bought these at around $168 (price is all over the map -- I've seen these as low as $136 / pair on Amazon). And these are excellent stands with 2 cable raceways (I assume for active speakers) and a larger channel for sand or shot. BTW, congratulations on your JBL Studio 530s!

I like these for the 3 points contact, very stable!:)

For look, these look better, a personal decision, look over form:).

If you have a few skills with hand tools and don't mind DIY why not make yourself a pair? I've seen some nice DIY stands over the years that took little time and materials. A large 20-30" piece of plastic pipe and two pieces of plywood with a big all-thread down the center works pretty good.

Remember the old kitchen chairs with a single column - four outrigger legs with metal pads - and swiveled? I made a pair of speaker stands out of two of those many years ago. I had more time than money and a couple of kids - and two kitchen chairs extra and a family of four with six chairs! They looked great. I used thick plywood for the base and put 4 screws into the speaker's bottom sides to hold them in place. I painted them flat black. I used them for a few years before buying some towers. I sold the speakers with the stands attached. The guy who bought them thought they were factory. Yeah - chair factory!

DIY is always a good option:)

Ray

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I can't believe I have to ask but with the crazy high prices and bad reviews lots of speaker Stands have:
Are they all created Equally ?
Mounting will be JBL 530's which are almost 20 lb's a piece.
Where are you located? I have some VTI stands that I'm using for my NHT Classic Threes. I plan on wall mounting them in the near future, could possibly sell mine to you. If you are interested.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts