AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need advice on picking some speakers for my new receiver, I am new to the HT arena and after much reading, and budget considerations I opted to go for a Yamaha HTR-5960 /v-659. I will be running this receiver for the next month or so with my old cheap HTIB speakers until tax refund time when I'll go ahead and start upgrading my speakers. I will not be getting much back, probably around 500-600 bucks and I think I want to go for bookshelf size speakers, given this should I:

1) Attempt to get a decent set of all 5 speakers (can this even be done on that budget?) or should i instead invest in maybe getting only the 2 front and main or just 2 front...and then eventually get the rest when i have more money (remember I can always keep the back surround crappy HTIB kind will then...)

2) Which brands should i go for / or avoid? When i was doing my receiver research, the same brands popped up all the time (yamaha, onkio, denon, and pioneer) but seems with speakers, the decent brands are a dime a dozen (polk, boston acoustic, JBL, Infinity and countless I never heard before..)

3)What should i look for when buying speakers , any specific specs I need to watch for? (eg. 8 vs 6 vs 4 Ohms...etc..), wattage? etc..

Some stats: The system is in my living room, it is a small apartment and the living room is around 11x17, carpet floor and of course it is not a closed area since it copnnects to the kitchen, room etc...

Thanx for any input!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had the Yamaha 5960 with Klipsch synergy speakers (f-2, s-2, c-2). The problem I had was ear fatigue. Ear fatigue is when your ears ring after listening due to high treble or a forward sound. I did not like the combination. I returned the 5960 for the 6090, better sound but not enough power for my HT which has 5000cf -8500cf. So I returned the receiver today. However, I bought the ascend 4 speaker set up for 1200 including shipping. The ascend speaker is neutral sort of like paradigm but with more mids and pop. The 6090 sounded good with those speakers. Many will say that the Yamaha has a thin, bright, detailed sound so you would need a neutral speaker set up to counterbalance. I tend to agree, based on my experience. The klipsch speakers sounded great, but the horn tweeters caused my ears to bleed at higher volume (-23 db), which is really not that high, but the Klipsch are so sensitive they sounded higher. Some on here recommend the 60-40 rule, that is, spend 60% on speakers and 40% on receiver. Let's say your 5960 cost about $500. That means you should spend about $700-800 on speakers (not including the sub). The sub may very well be the most important investment for HT. Cheap 5 speaker set ups have cheap drivers that the yamaha will not drive well. I would buy two front or mains of good quality then build from there. My sub cost 1200, about equal of the other 4 speakers. I kept the S-2 surrounds for my rear surrounds (back) for a 7.1 system.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had the 5950 a couple of years ago. I had it paired with the Infinity TSS-450 5.1 system. Sounded really awesome....but to answer your questions, nicer speakers are better. With that in mind, buying as much as you can afford for each speaker, one speaker at a time, will yield you the most rewards. Let your ears make your decision. Get out there and audition as many brands and models as you can. Then when you decide the line and manufacturer you want, then buy as you can afford. Usually, the "good stuff" cannot be found in a best buy, circuit city, or etc. Go to a dealer and listen or go the Internet Direct route (best quality vs price). Many Internet Direct brands will let you audition their speakers in your home for 30 days and pay for the shipping to and from your house should you decide to not get them. Brands like: Bic Acoutech, Axiom, Aperion, ACI, Swan, Ascend, Onix/AV123, SVS, HSU, and many more are all Internet Direct and are all praised on these boards. Try to keep all the same impedance across your speakers so that your receiver's power handling matches the desired power from the speaker...If you must mix 8 and 4 ohm speakers, for instance, wire them in parallel. For the space you have, anything will pretty much fill the space well. As always good luck and keep us posted on what you are leaning towards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.