AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my situation. I am a freshmen at college and living in a pretty large room (25x15) so there is some extra space. Right now we have a Panasonic CT30WX54 TV with Xbox, PS2, and a Panasonic F86 DVD Player. Well I have pretty much decided on getting the Panasonic XR70 when it comes out because my dad is an authorized retailer and I can get it at cost (I am still open to other suggestions). Now I am looking at speakers. This system will most likley only last me 2 or 3 years until I upgrade again when I move to an apartment. I would like a 6.1 system but I would like to keep it under one $1k as I am not going to be able to really blast the music as loud as I want most of the time in the dorm. So any suggestion on good speakers for this reciever?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, I checked out the Athena website and am thinking about going with the AS-P300 sub, 2 AS-B1's as the front speakers, 2 AS-B1's as the rears, AS-C1 as the center. The Panasonic reciever is capable of 6.1 and I would like to take advantage of that, however I am not familiar with anything other than a 5.1 setup so what kind of speaker should I get and where should I place it? Also would these be good speakers to go with the reciever? Any other suggestions other than Athena?

·
Registered
239 Posts
For less than $1000, you may want to go with a 5.1 system:

Front: B&W DM303 (less than $300 for the pair)

Center: B&W LCR-60 S3 ($299 MSRP)

Rear: B&W DM303 (less than $300 for the pair)

Sub: Velodyne CHT-10 (around $200 online)

This adds up to more than $1000, but if you buy all the B&W speakers from the same dealer, you should be able to get sufficient discount to bring your total below $1000.

Another option is to use your TV's speakers as the center channel.

In this case, you can upgrade your front speakers to B&W DM601 S3 ($450 MSRP) which would be much better for listening to music.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well i agree with hdshark. Now while i would also recommend looking at the Magnepan MMG HT, the solution with B&W and velodyne already gives you the sub. So thats a very good recommendation, and B&W does make nice speakers.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried to view B&W's website but I can't, is it down? Are there any online dealers that sell their speakers I would like to check the prices of some of their stuff

·
Registered
239 Posts
B&W Website appears to be down for some reason for the last two days.

The prices I mentioned in my previous e-mail is pretty much what you would likely to see at an authorized B&W dealer.

Stereo Exchange website has some information (including price) about some of the B&W products. Note that this is not an online store.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are B&W speakers primarily for music listening or playing movies? I do not know if there is any difference but I would say 90% of the speakers use would be put to Movies and Video Games and maybe 10% music.

·
Registered
239 Posts
B&W Speakers will give you very clean and detailed sound. Basically they will expose what the XR70 is capable of. I personally think there is nothing comparable within the price range.

However, there are less expensive solutions which will have marginally less quality. If you are targeting 90% music and video games and only 10% music, you can save some money by going with a packaged solution like Definitive Tech Pro Cinema 60 ($699 MSRP) or Polk Audio RM6750 ($499 online).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.