AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for many months, so I finally joined. I know the which speaker to buy question gets asked quite often, sorry.

We just moved into a new home. The prior owner must have had a HT system because there are wires run everywhere and they left 2 rear in-ceiling speakers (niles).

We have a baby due in 4 months so I want to do away with my old Def Tech bookshelf speakers that sit on stands. I'm thinking since i have 2 rear speakers already, I would add 2 front Def Tech speakers in-ceiling for the L&R and then use a center channel like the cs 8060hd. can this be done and will it sound good? Room is 15w x 18d x 8h. I like the Def tech sound but not opposed to other manufacturers. My sub is a SVS dual 12".

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Congrats on the baby. I'm not a fan of in ceiling speakers myself, just don't care for the sound coming down from above on the main l/r channels. In wals are better imo. I have been a happy deftech owners for many years and would highly recommend them.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman /forum/post/20839828

Congrats on the baby. I'm not a fan of in ceiling speakers myself, just don't care for the sound coming down from above on the main l/r channels. In wals are better imo. I have been a happy deftech owners for many years and would highly recommend them.

I can't do in-walls. The front wall is between 2 large windows. My 58" plasma barely fits in that space so I have no room for in-walls.

I would only use in-ceilings for L&R and then go with a "normal" center to sit on my entertainment center. My ceilings are only 8' so maybe it will not be so bad. I just don't trust bookshelf speakers on stands when the baby starts crawling around and pulling /pushing on everything.

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
Having main L/R speakers in-ceiling and the center channel at ear height will make for some strange audio effects in a scene traveling across the screen. Kind of like a horizontal u-turn.

Personally I think in-ceiling speakers should be illegal. JMO...

There are many ways of securing speakers for the few short years your kid will be uncontrollable (trust me I know all about this) - I'd get creative and see what is available. Maybe some concrete filled (or sand) stands that a bull would have trouble knocking over.

Or a shock collar with a proximity jolt?

Hey - just kidding on that one.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20840070

Having main L/R speakers in-ceiling and the center channel at ear height will make for some strange audio effects in a scene traveling across the screen. Kind of like a horizontal u-turn.

Personally I think in-ceiling speakers should be illegal. JMO...

There are many ways of securing speakers for the few short years your kid will be uncontrollable (trust me I know all about this) - I'd get creative and see what is available. Maybe some concrete filled (or sand) stands that a bull would have trouble knocking over.

Or a shock collar with a proximity jolt?

Hey - just kidding on that one.

Thanks, you make an interesting point regarding the front soundstage being at different heights.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Definitely ck out the Def Tech RCS II's or III's. They have aimable tweeters. You could use those for L&R and the cs-8060 for your center. The placement might not be bad because your ceilings are only 8'.

I have a friend that has a similar setup and it's not as bad as some folks think it might be. In fact it sounds good. Yes, you can sometimes localize sounds from above in the L&R speakers, but not always.

Dan

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 /forum/post/20842801

Definitely ck out the Def Tech RCS II's or III's. They have aimable tweeters. You could use those for L&R and the cs-8060 for your center. The placement might not be bad because your ceilings are only 8".

I have a friend that has a similar setup and it's not as bad as some folks think it might be. In fact it sounds good. Yes, you can sometimes localize sounds from above in the L&R speakers, but not always.

Dan

thanks for the suggestions. In reading this forum it seems many people don't like ceiling speakers. It seems Def tech and Triad are mentioned as decent ceiling speakers, however.

I thought with aimable tweeters and my low 8" ceilings that it wouldn't be much of a compromise to use in-ceiling speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts