AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room is about 10x11 or so, although i haven't measured it yet since i only move in on the 1st. My main activities are HT/gaming/music with probably 80% ht and the rest of my time split between the two other activities.

These speakers will accompany a projector (haven't decided on which one yet, need to go see them in action) and my HTPC and possibly a rotel rsp-1066 if I can't get my pc to do what I want well enough. I've decided on the amp and it will be an anthem pva7.

The room is, like I said, pretty small and it has hardwood floors, french doors at the back. Since there isn't tons of room, i'm probably going to purchase 2 nice leather recliners for seating.

I wish to have a 7.1 set up. I was originally considering Paradigm studio 40s, studio/cc, studio/adp and the sub. The problem is the ADPs are a bit on the big side and I'm not so sure that I can get them properly positioned in the room. The biggest problem is obviously the rear channels because of the french doors.

Part of the original logic of getting this paradigm set up was that I wouldn't have to upgrade for quite some time, even if I moved to a larger place. Upon further thought,however, I'll probably be stuck in small apartments for quite some time as I'm stilll not finished college and then i have to get my mba etc before I can really get settled.

Bearing this in mind, i'm thinking it might be better to get a speaker-set that is more appropriate for small rooms. This basically means that the side and rear surrounds need to be on the walls. The front speakers can be bookshelf or towers or whatever since there will eb space for them, but for my current apartment, the rears absolutely need to be wall or ceilling mounable. Obviously I want a matched set and obviously I want top quality sound, on par with the paradigms I was originally considering (and in the same price point although I don't mind paying less if it's for great speakers). I wouldn't want to spend too much more though.

Does anynoe have suggestions? Right now I'm considering the Mirage OM series. I'm really looking for options right now though. So feel free to make any suggestions. I'd really appreciate comments from people with small HT rooms on their current rigs and how they like them. Actually I'm not even sure about the mirage speakers since i just rea da review that they need to be given a little space, which I don't have tons of (the room might actually be smaller than i said, i'm really pretty much guessitng on the dimensions).

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hey! Those Toteom Arros/Dreamcatchers may have found a home! If you have a $1500-$2000 budget and want very good sound, these are TINY and would be perfect. Not a lot of low-end though, but they have bigger subs.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi Jrs,

John could speak on this topic better than I can but I don't think you need a 7.1 system in such a small room.

Here is some potentially more important off topic advice -- Many employers look down on people who go straight for their MBA's -- they view these people as professional students who are afraid of the real world. It was not clear in what you said above as to when you were going to get your MBA but you would be *much* better off working 3-5 years then going back. You will get into a better school and you will get more (ie a much better job) out of the MBA experience.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Actually, he has a point. The room is WAY too small for 7.1. In order to pull that off, you'd have to have the chairs a good feet from the back wall which would put you 7' from the front wall. So, you'd have to go to front projection which is a great idea for a room this small. A screen of about 60" would look great. Plus still has a demo deal on their Piano 3100. So, you CAN do 7.1, but you don't need a lot of power. Also, 7.1 really isn't 7.1, it is 6.1 with dual mono rears. 6.1 is better with most systems. Also, why go to the expensive separates when you don't need the power? Quality, sure, but you'd be better off spending money on room acoustics than high-end components. Also, you don't want to use omni or bipolar in a small room. For that you need dimension of about 15x20 just to start to sound right. NHT's SB1 system, to be partisan, would be about as big as you'd want to go, but are VERY high-end in design and performance.

·
Registered
429 Posts
John,

I am AMAZED that you have recommended Totems(good job)....and even more amazed that you mentioned my favourite "cheap" projector(PLUS)....hey, maybe we're not that different afterall.......haha.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rocket Loudspeakers HT Package # 5, the Totem Dreamcatcher package, Proac Hexa package, Paradigm Studio/20 System One, Boston Acoustics, RBH, ... depends on what you like for sound and have for budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.