AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the story is this, I have gotten a better job recently and I am looking to upgrade my system, So far I have put in the 46" A750 last year, and more recently this year I bought a used Martin Logan Descent from a friend. Just this week I decided after a lot of research to pick up a Yamaha RX-V863 from Crutchfield, That one is not even here yet. Now one key factor in this is that as part of my job I frequently earn gift cards, The 2 places I can get gift cards to that will buy electronics are Best Buy and Crutchfield. I bought both the TV and the new receiver with gift cards, And I still have around $800 left that I could cash out.

At Best Buy's Built in Magnolia I spent some Demo time of the speakers they had out, I really liked the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand's and had at one point pretty much decided to buy them. Then I read about the Definitive Tech Mythos STS Super tower, Something that is not out for display at my local Best Buy which I have been unable demo anywhere, I am wondering how the 2 sets compare considering their very similar costs.

Also I keep asking myself if I have missed anything for instance Crutchfield caries Thiel speakers as well, which I have heard are a good brand, however the CS1.6 are likely the best I could afford, and they don't seem that impressive on paper. On top of that one of my friends has a pair of Mackie HR824 speakers he uses as mains and I find them to be quite impressive, with their much lower cost I could just buy them now instead of saving gift cards for the next 8 months.

Right now I am thinking it would be nice to get a quality set of mains and a quality matched center, and just use the Advents for the surround, they have a sentimental value being the speakers I bought with money from my first job when I was 16, and to be honest they don't sound that bad. However I have one last annoyance which is that the Center speaker spot on my entertainment stand is only about 6.25" tall and it's going to be hard to center any speaker much over 20 inches wide. With the fairly low stand on the Samsung TV it's not very practical to put a center in front of it.

Anyways for now I am just looking for ideas, so I can get an idea which direction would be good for my next upgrade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I went to my local Magnolia, to hear the Def Tech Mythos STS, They were in the "cheap" room, the sales man told me I really hard to hear the Mythos ST's which were in the next room up, I have to agree that they clearly sounded a lot better offering a fuller sound and a deeper sound stage, however they were set up with better equipment and in a room I suspect had better acoustics. I had a friend with me to listen we compared them to the Vienna Acoustics, several sets of Martin Logan, and a few other speakers, they sounded good until I heard the Sonus Fabers, they had the Concerto Domus out on display, they sounded so good, very rich and full, and the sound stage was amazing, closing my eyes I felt like I could tell where each instrument was, on top of that one of the recordings was live and you could tell just by the sound it was a small room with a low ceiling and hard walls, Anyways I ended up walking out with a pair of Grand Piano Domus which sound amazing for less than the cost of the STS, and they threw in a Martin Logan Abyss for free, crazy deals going on at Magnolia if you have one in your area you should check it out.

Also while we were there our sales man took us into the ultra high end room and let us spend some quality time there. The Martin Logan CLX were really breathtaking makes me wish I had a much much higher paying job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.