AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an old house with high ceilings & small rooms (no room for floor-standing speakers). For more than 30 years I've had AR-11 speakers (12" woofers) on their sides atop a 10' wide/10' tall bookshelf cabinet, powered by a Luxman 55-watt per channel receiver (also powering 2 sets of small wired satellite speakers in other rooms via the attic). In my opinion the Luxman and horizontal AR's produced wonderful omni-directional sound throughout my long double-parlor. In recent years, I piped digital HD TV sound into the Luxman with an analog converter and got a great theatre sound for movies etc.

The foam speaker surrounds on the AR's are gone, so I need some advice. Can I hope to get decent sound from something like B&W 685 S2 bookshelf speakers (also atop the bookshelf, but vertical)? I listen to stuff like organ music, so bass is a must. If I need a subwoofer, can it go atop the bookcase? This is a top-floor flat and I want to enjoy myself without being inconsiderate of my downstairs neighbor.

Apologies in advance for asking the impossible.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Why not just get new surrounds? Costs a heck of a lot less than new speakers. You can do it yourself or send the drivers to a speaker repair place such as Orange County Speaker Repair: http://www.speakerrepair.com They also sell repair kits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just get new surrounds? Costs a heck of a lot less than new speakers. You can do it yourself or send the drivers to a speaker repair place such as Orange County Speaker Repair. They also sell repair kits.
Great advice. I got the kit for new surrounds, but am afraid to tackle it on my own, especially removing the dust caps. Thanks for the recommendation on repair, too. I'll investigate locally (San Francisco).

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Let me know how everything turns out. BTW, you can check online for those who have replaced their surrounds. Often they give you the details, and there are even some videos (if I recall). But if you do decide to let the pros do it, it shouldn't cost more than around 50 bucks a speaker. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts