AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First my budget is about $750 for a 5.1 setup (speaker color Silver)

Front Speakers

My wife likes the style of Klipsch synergy SLX (I am skeptical about thin speakers)

I need the speakers to be on stands or on the wall.

Center Speaker

Not sure how important the center speaker is, but the height stipulation i have is about 5 and a half inches. It will be on a shelf under my tv

Surround speaker

The speakers will be behind us, so i was thinking about speakers that we could direct towards the center of the couch (is this nessary?)

Subwoofer

I can put the sub either beside the tv or beside the couch

Any advice is appriciated

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_St.vincent /forum/post/0

First my budget is about $750 for a 5.1 setup (speaker color Silver)

Front Speakers

My wife likes the style of Klipsch synergy SLX (I am skeptical about thin speakers)

I need the speakers to be on stands or on the wall.

Center Speaker

Not sure how important the center speaker is, but the height stipulation i have is about 5 and a half inches. It will be on a shelf under my tv

Surround speaker

The speakers will be behind us, so i was thinking about speakers that we could direct towards the center of the couch (is this nessary?)

Subwoofer

I can put the sub either beside the tv or beside the couch

Any advice is appriciated

Center channel speaker is very important part of any HT setup and it is critical that it is timbre matched with (at least) your front speakers. I would suggest you go for Synergy SLX for all 5 channels (L/C/R and both surrounds). It will fit your 5.5" requirement for center too. If for budget reasons, you have to get different surround speakers, it is fine, but at least don't compromise on front speakers.

As for subwoofer placement, try both those location and keep whichever sounds better to you.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

axs said:
Center channel speaker is very important part of any HT setup and it is critical that it is timbre matched with (at least) your front speakers.

The center channel is important, but not that important. Timbre matching is very important I agree with if you go with a center channel. But if funds are tight, and you need to stay within budget for now. I would spend more money trying to get better main left and right speakers and run what they call a "Phantom Center".

·
Registered
511 Posts
For $750, you can have pretty decent Athena 5.1 setup:

Fronts: AS-F2.2: $400/pair

Center: AS-C1.2: $120

Surround: AS-R1.2: $160/pair

Subwoofer: AS-P4100: $180

Of course, the priices are from unauthorized internet dealers ...

The possible weak link in this setup is the Center, but it might fit your 5.5" height requirement perfectly.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven /forum/post/0

The center channel is important, but not that important. Timbre matching is very important I agree with if you go with a center channel. But if funds are tight, and you need to stay within budget for now. I would spend more money trying to get better main left and right speakers and run what they call a "Phantom Center".

Not every one likes phantom center (at least it does not work for me) and OP's restriction for 5.5" height will eliminate most center channel speakers. Klipsch SLX works fine for center (have a friend who has a 7.1 setup with all SLX) and fits size requirement OP has, so I don't see anything wrong with using that as center. Three of the same speakers in front will the best as far as timbre match is concerned.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...er-system.aspx

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

The left and right speakers will either have to be on stands or wall mount, due to furniture placement.

SLX can be wall mounted or place on stands without any problems.

Quote:

would the RVX-42 be worth the diffrance from the synergy speakers

Only way to tell is by listening to both of these. BB carries these speakers, so you should be able to compare them without problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the sound out of the SLX good?

I am also looking at bookshelf speakers on stand for the left and right.

What kind of surround should i look into , speakers will be back surround speakers as the side walls are to far away to use. Should i use speakers like the RSX-3 or s-1 (both are klipsch)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might consider the AV123 X series lots of good write up around here. I don't think they offer silver.

AV123

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.