AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am searching for a decent 6.1 speaker set without receiver to finish off my setup.

I am not looking to spend much now due to my 1 year old daughter and her sticky fingers. Just a nice HTIB for $500 or less.

Here's my setup:

JVC DLP 61" HDTV

Pana BD-35 BR player

Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1 Rec

Toshiba HD DVD 35 player

HD Cable box

All Monster heavy gauge wires

All High quality HDMI cables into Onkyo Rec.

Current speakers are an older set (7 years) of Onkyo's - I forget the model. They are good just wanting to upgrade some sound quality for a year until I go for an all out high end speaker set - most likely Paradigm or Atlantic Tech, next year.

I have been thinking of the Onkyo SKS-HT240 and the JBL CS6100BG

Any input would be great! Thanks and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
How about getting started on your next upgrade now? Just a thought. You could pick up a pair from the Paradigm monitor line, for example, to use in front with your current speakers and later move them to the rear when you're ready to upgrade to a full Paradigm system (or Atlantic Tech, etc...).

Otherwise, there are lots of little 5.1 systems under $500. The JBL system looks good but I think you can do better than the Onkyo system, they're not really known as a speaker company.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/15425101

How about getting started on your next upgrade now? Just a thought. You could pick up a pair from the Paradigm monitor line, for example, to use in front with your current speakers and later move them to the rear when you're ready to upgrade to a full Paradigm system (or Atlantic Tech, etc...).

Otherwise, there are lots of little 5.1 systems under $500. The JBL system looks good but I think you can do better than the Onkyo system, they're not really known as a speaker company.

thanks for the info!

How much would those Paradigms run me? also where can I buy them?

Onkyo's seem to be popular on the forums no?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You have to find an authorized dealer . It's hard to get pricing on Paradigm because I don't think they allow online sales. Here's some pricing on page 6 and 7 (and you can usually talk audio shops down a bit), but it doesn't include the 5.1 system you're looking at. I've never heard them, but that Cinema system looks real nice and you should get some decent sound out of the 4 1/2" drivers.

If you do go down this path, it's good to know in advance what the next step would be. You'd be best off staying in the Cinema line and there looks like some good options to move up. Later on, you could move up to the Cinema Phantom floorstanding speakers with the Cinema 220 center and move the Cinema 110 fronts to the back and/or with the center in back for 6.1.

You'd also want to ask around and find out if the Cinema series will still be sold in a year or two or if they'll be closed out soon. It would be a good idea to go out and have a listen to different options while keeping in mind what you want in the future. There are just so many options to look at, but the Cinema series looks pretty slick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.