AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys-

I had a question about what type of speakers (monopole v. bipole v. dipole) I should use for the rears in my room. I'm attaching pics of the back walls (back left (when facing the TV), back right and a diagram of the room).

The challenge here is that the room has lots of built-in bookshelves, a couple of windows, and is not perfectly symmetrical. We're having some work done on the front of the room so things are a bit messy, but you can see the bookshelves.

I think I've basically got 3 choices for rears, but none are perfect. The letters correspond to the locations in the diagram. I would like to avoid in-ceiling speakers if at all possible b/c the ceiling has old school plaster work that is VERY nice and I don't to mess it up.

A) Dipole or Bipole speakers on the side walls. Problem here is that the back left speaker (when looking at the TV) is on an open wall, while the back right speaker would be on a wall that is bordered closely by beams from a previous built-in bookshelf. I thought this might cause uneven reflections & sound.

B) Monopole or direct radiating speakers in the upper corner on the back left and on the shelf above the window in the back right. These are going to shoot 4-5 feet above the viewers' heads unless I angle them down slightly (I know you don't want to aim them directly at the seating area). I also have the problem that I want to get the Paradigm millenia flat speakers for the LCR but paradigm doesn't make small monopole speakers from the same family (other than more Millenia 20s but the wife has nixed having a 26" speaker in the back of the room).

C) Bipole/Dipole speakers along the back wall, but these would probably have to be within the bookshelves. Mounting them on the beams of the bookshelves is a no-no for the wife. I'm guessing the sound won't be great if these fire directly into the beams of built-in bookshelves, right?

Any suggestions on how to position the rear speakers and what kind to use for this room would be VERY much appreciated.

thanks,

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know about placement of bipole/dipole speakers? I'm a bit of a hifi noob but it seems like putting them in the bookshelves or somewhere with uneven reflection is going to be a bad idea.

I'm leaning towards using direct radiating speakers in the upper rear corners of the room or maybe in-ceilings (if they would be MUCH better), but any advice from the hifi gurus would be helpful. thx!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts