AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say, I dont buy online so that affects some of the choices I have.

I currently have a sony str-dh720 receiver connected to a sony satellite speaker system. Too be honest the speakers actually sound pretty good to me but Im wanting a bit of an upgrade. Im looking at the Klipsch hdt-600 theater set because best buy has it in stock for 299.99 and I can go hear them first. This set is also appealing because I can upgrade the fronts eventually to full size floor speakers and use the 2 sats for 7.1.

My biggest question is if this is going to be a significant increase in sound quality from my sony's or should I look at going a different route?

Im on a tight budget and wont order online anymore so Ive got a few obstacles to overcome.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Used an option? Probably best value for an upgrade at your price point is the used market. Watch for people unloading used gear after black friday/holiday sales.

Energy, klipsch, polk etc are all bang for buck brands that come up on sale from time to time. You are on the right track.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive found a great deal on some jbl n24 ii's and an n-center on craigslist but with speakers Im worried about not hearing an issue until I get home and dive into tuning everything.

I like the klipsch for the fact its easily expandable and Ive got to imagine its going to sound quite a bit better than sony sats right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive also found the polk rm 6750's at a local store for $270. They have 3 1/4" drivers vs the klipsh 2.5

·
Banned
108 Posts
Listen to something with horns or strings to test the tweeter. Something with bass for woofers. You will probably get a good feel for what you are getting once you meet the seller and see their place. Go with your gut. Lots of people, myself included, upgrade and get rid of gear just to save space. Great deals out there.

If they wont let you hear the gear or control the volume then walk.

·
Banned
108 Posts
If you go with the box of speakers type of upgrade you might be looking for the next jump sooner than later. Tons of threads with good advice about saving and getting a longer term setup. But budget rules all as i know too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
for that price it would be much of a upgrade. now if your talking about a $1500.00 pair then that would be a upgrade, ofcourse id buy them used not new, im not rich. but if i can find a use $1600.00 pair of speakers for $300.00 then im happy. and i did find a pair. i feel any home speakers in the couple hundred range just arent going to sound that good. mot quality speakers are going to be $400.00 or $500.00a piece.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a possibility of getting the below polk setup for $400. Based on reviews online it should be a substantial upgrade I would bet.

The front towers are monitor 50, center is cs2, rears are monitor 30, and subwoofer is psw12. All are in like new condition and not a scratch on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts

If you are most interested in movies, as opposed to music, speakers with built in subs, like the Def Techs, save you money. Stand alone sub woofers are expensive and most of them are overpriced, in my opinion. I have Def Techs with the built in 300 watt subs and since they are bipolar and have the subs, they are great for movies and good for rock music. A pair can be purchased used in like new condition for under $800. I only paid $600 for mine as an open box item, amazing deal and they are better than the Boston Acoustic speakers I had which also had built in subs and were once the top rated speaker on Consumer reports tests for speakers under $1500 a pair. 

·
Registered
187 Posts
What exactly is your budget? The Energy Take system is a good bargain and lots of people seen to like them. If you live near a Fry's they always have sales on JBL, Infinty and Polk Audio. If you are patient enough, you could upgrade piece by piece. Start with a pair of bookshelf speakers and a center channel or subwoofer and build it from there. It might take longer to do, but you could be happier for a longer period of time as opposed to wanting to upgrade sooner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the polk monitors deal fell thru so after testing out a few systems I went with the polk blackstone tl1600's. I know this wont be a popular choice but i got them for $169 new. I really liked the clarity of them and I have a plan to build exactly what I want with them. Im going to get new towers for the front and a bigger center and use the sats for the 4 rear speakers. The 8" sub is definitely the weak spot in the system but its going behind the couch as a 2nd one. Now onto my next question.

Im looking for a main sub to go under the tv. Im between 3 options and dont have a clue what to choose. My room is 18x15 with a 15' vaulted ceiling and opens to the kitchen and no back wall. Keeping in mind I have the 8" sub behind the couch the 3 options Im looking at are:

Velodyne DLS-3750R - used $125

Polk psw125 - new $199

Polk psw110 - new $150

I sit 15' from the tv and where the sub will be and I want to feel explosions in movies, not just hear it. I dont really play music in this room, its strictly a theater/tv area.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't know anything about the Velodyne but rather than the Polk, I think you're better off with the Dayton Audio SUB-1200.

If you want to know how much better, I have one being shipped to me right now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that and it got great reviews. Thats the one for $109 on parts direct? How long is the shipping? I generally hate buying online but thats a very tempting price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1503120/speaker-upgrade-advice#post_24038669

Yeah, that's the one.

Their place is in Ohio, so I guess it depends on how far away you are for shipping times.

Ok Im in detroit so it would be pretty quick. Can you let me know how it is.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1503120/speaker-upgrade-advice#post_24039522

The Velodyne will be able to mop the floor when compared to that cheapo dayton and polks

Sounds like a deal. The Velod was originally a $500 sub. Trade ya!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1503120/speaker-upgrade-advice#post_24039522

The Velodyne will be able to mop the floor when compared to that cheapo dayton and polks

Ok Ive emailed the velodyne and while doing so a psw505 came available for $175. Still do the velodyne?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts