AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new receiver ( Onkyo TX-SR604 ) as a hold over for a year or so until I could find a good quality HDMI 1.3 receiver without breaking the bank. After hooking the new receiver up and calibrating it, I realized that no matter what I tried the speakers, more so the high/mid ranges, sounded very quiet and were easily overpowered by the bass. For some time I have been unhappy with these speakers, but it seems that a new receiver has really brought out their flaws. They are always either too bright or too bassy (more the latter than the former), no common ground that is acceptable to me. So I am looking to upgrade to something that will hold me over for about the same length of time as my receiver, and then do one big upgrade all at one time. Here is my current setup:

Westinghouse 37W3 37" 720P
Onkyo TX-SR604
Polk Audio R30 Fronts and Rears
Polk Audio CS1 Center Channel
Dayton SUB-120 150W 12" Subwoofer

Sony Playstation 3 (HDMI)

Comcast 6412 Series III HD DVR (HDMI)

Microsoft Xbox 360 (VGA/Optical)

Nintendo Wii (Component/RCA)

I use my system mainly (40% - TV/30% - Gaming/30% - Movies). I would like something that can compliment all three mediums fairly well. I don't mind sticking to 5.1, but am open to 6.1/7.1 as my receiver can do both of those. I would like to keep my current subwoofer because I absolutely love it, but everything else I am indifferent about. My maximum budget would be somewhere in the $500 or less category. I ran across these Velodyne speakers today on these forums and they seem to be getting rave reviews, though I'm not sure how they stack up against what I have now. I did like these because whatever setup I get will most likely be retired to the bedroom when I get my new setup and something small like these would be convenient.

The room these will be in is 15' x 20' and has around 17' ceilings.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46minaudio /forum/post/0

Get 6 of these..
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=ATASB1%2E2

Also IMO get a speaker that can play down to 80hz or better,unless size has you straped down.5.25' woofer or better....

Hmm... take a chance on 3 pairs of speakers I've not heard before... or buy 4 HTD middies (100 Hz) and a flat panel speaker (80 Hz), and then ship them back at no cost to me IF I don't like how they sound. I own the middies and prefer their sound to a few more expensive speakers. But then who knows, the Athena B1.2's could be preferred by some to the HTD's, or any speakers for that matter. However, I would sooner listen to speakers at no risk to me than ones I would have to pay to ship them back if I didn't like them. Of course you could always order both and compare them.

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time /forum/post/0

I suggest considering Home Theater Direct's middies and flat panel speaker . See their site for details on their 100% risk free guarantee.

Would the middies be a better deal at $150/pair or the Level Two's at $179/pair?

With the flat panel speaker, have you heard it before? If so, how does it sound?

Two of the flat panel speakers for front and rear centers, along with four of the middys would put me slightly over budget but looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

Could you prove these 2.5'' drivers play flat down to 100 hz.If I had to guess they are more like F3 of 200hz.

Here is the measurements for the ASb1s.
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...s/athena_asb1/

If space is not a large concern I would buy these over the middies all day.

Here is a review of the Athenas..
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm

When you or anyone proves specifications of speakers should bear relevance to the OP's preference between these speakers as they function in a 5.1 system with his receiver in his own home, is when I will consider subscribing to your method of selecting speakers that seems too heavily based on their specifications. And I take it you've posted this without having heard the middies or perhaps even the Athenas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

Get 6 of these..
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...ber=ATASB1%2E2

Also IMO get a speaker that can play down to 80hz or better,unless size has you straped down.5.25' woofer or better....

Would these work well with my current center channel? Or better yet, one of the flat panel center channels from HTD? How will these sound in comparison to what I have now? Will they give me a fuller range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg707 /forum/post/0

Would the middies be a better deal at $150/pair or the Level Two's at $179/pair?

With the flat panel speaker, have you heard it before? If so, how does it sound?

Two of the flat panel speakers for front and rear centers, along with four of the middys would put me slightly over budget but looks like a nice setup.

I've heard the Level Twos and the middies and prefer the middies. I've not heard the flat panel speaker but it's surely meant to be paired with the middies.

What you might want to do is order a combination of flat panel, middies and Level Twos so you can compare them for up to 30 days and send back what you don't prefer and order the rest of what you do. I highly suggest calling HTD in the morning and asking the nice people there for their professional advise.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time /forum/post/0

When you or anyone proves specifications of speakers should bear relevance to the OP's preference between these speakers as they function in a 5.1 system with his receiver in his own home, is when I will consider subscribing to your method of selecting speakers that seems too heavily based on their specifications. And I take it you've posted this without having heard the middies or perhaps even the Athenas?

I don't have to hear the middies to know they will have a hole between 100 to 200hz,if the xover is set to 100.You could set the xover at 200 though.However it would be very easy to locate the sub.I dont prefer either.You may prefer a big hole,or locate the sub and thats fine with me.The AS1bs have usable bass down to 50 hz and can cross over at 80 very easy.I sure hope I didn't offend you when I offered up the Athenas to the OP.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:

I don't have to hear the middies to know they will have a hole between 100 to 200hz,if the xover is set to 100.You could set the xover at 200 though.However it would be very easy to locate the sub.I dont prefer either.You may prefer a big hole,or locate the sub and thats fine with me.The AS1bs have usable bass down to 50 hz and can cross over at 80 very easy.I sure hope I didn't offend you when I offered up the Athenas to the OP.

I have no idea why anyone would assume the OP would want to cross the HTD speakers at anything other than as recommended by HTD, 80 Hz and 100 Hz. Beyond that and as I already indicated, I consider your assumptions irrelelant. With a capable sub, it comes down to a simple matter of preference. One either tries the Athenas at the possible expense of shipping them back, or tries the HTD's at no risk, or tries them both and compares. And there you go, nothing more here worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I have looked it over and have come up with three different setups:

Home Theater Direct 1 (5.1):

HTD Level Two Tower Speakers as Front L/R

HTD Level Two Center Channel Speaker

HTD Level Two Bookshelf Speakers as Rear L/R

Heavy Duty Speaker Mounting Brackets for Rear L/R

Cost - $732.00 + $45.00 Shipping

Home Theater Direct 2 (7.1):

HTD Middy Compact Speakers as Front L/R, Rear L/R, Surround L/R

HTD Flat Panel Speaker as Center Channel

Light Duty Speaker Mounting Brackets for Middys (x 6)

Cost - $645 + $35.00 Shipping

Audio Advisor (5.1):

Athena Audition AS-F2.2 Tower Speakers as Front L/R

Athena Audition AS-C1.2 Center Channel Speaker

Athena Audition AS-B1.2 Bookshelf Speakers as Rear L/R

Use Current Stands for Bookshelf Speakers

Cost - $669.85 + $56.90 Shipping

I decided to screw the size and get something that I could maybe get a little bit more bang for my buck out of. I like the fact that I can audition the HTD speakers for 30 days, but have found very few professional reviews of these speakers, which makes me a little nervous as to what to expect. The Athena Audition series I have heard before, at least the center and bookshelf speakers and remember being impressed by them. The Athena tower speakers also seem to be more powerful than the HTD towers. I also feel like I am replacing my center channel with something extremely comparable spec. wise, but I want my setup to be properly voice matched. With either of the 5.1 setups could I use my Polk CS1 as a Rear Center for 6.1 and not run into any problems?

So given my preferences on use, which one would you guys recommend? Are there other choices that may be better? I am relatively new to all of this and appreciate the guidance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.