AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First lets clear the air, i currently own a Bose Acoustimass 15 5.1 system that i bought a few years ago without the knowledge of this fine forum. That being said i know what the general opinion is on them and i know their shortcomings (now after lurking and reading) so please no flames or beating a dead horse.

We have a large 29 by 14 foot room that serves both as a living room and dinning room. The ceiling is a 16 foot cathedral style ceiling. Here is a pic of the basic layout of our room. The red is the sound system and the blue is our preferred seating:

http://24.229.66.181:99/images/room.jpg

Needless to say the room has lousy acoustics and the sound goes everywhere. It doesnt sound bad but i know it can sound better with the right speaker system. There are i few guidelines i wish to follow.

1. Low Profile look (Wife)

2. Wall mountable(preferable with the same brackets we have now)

3. 5.1 system at least with easy upgradeablity to 7.1

4. Budget not important, i want to know ALL my options

5. MOST important...the speakers with the best "soundstage" something that will keep the sound where it should be [not in my ceiling fan:)]

So far i been able to come up with KEF HTS2005 speakers, what else is out there for me to consider? I'm looking for the best possible sound within my criteria. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't worry so much about the whole bose thing. I think bose is a great speaker setup for people who don't know what they are missing or don't care. It's small and easy to use and fills a room with sound. If you were always happy with it and how it sounds then don't worry about what people say about bose. I think that as long as you are happy with it then good for you.

People are really harsh on the bose thing in here and especially on audioreview.com but they need to consider the fact that a lot of people can't spend the time on a forum like this or shopping around. They also might not mind the sound that bose offers.

Now back to your room. What is that in the top left corner that is making you put your speaker that much closer to you and up to the left? Is that your TV? If it is can you put a center channel on top of it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the skinny thing is the plasma with the red sub aside/behide it. in front of that is the fireplace. i didnt want the left main to be behide the tv. i used a meter to set all the speakers to the same volume and then even turned it down more by a few clicks. the center cannot go on the tv, that would screw up the spacing to much i think.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why can't you put the right speaker where the center is and the center on top of the TV? That would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
137 Posts
BlouZ,

My browser did not load your picture, but a suggestion for you (or anyone looking for similar speakers/setup) would be to look into the Mirage Omnistats. Mated with a decent sub-woofer, they can sound like a much more expensive system than they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.