AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a technical question based on a pre-existing "out of box" outdated surround sound system. My main objective is to get much crisper sound and much harder hitting bass! Several years ago I purchased a Sony BDV-E570 (1000W 5.1-CH) system and at the time this was plenty but now I want more from my system.

I am now entertaining going to a receiver setup (Onyko TX-NR626 [7.2-CH]) but my curiosity now comes into play regarding should I upgrade the speakers since this head unit already pushes 1000W (165W to each speaker) or upgrade my speakers to a higher quality speaker to get better sound and harder hitting bass? My objective again is to get a much more crisp sound and deeper bass…

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
The problem you're going to run into, and the reason we try to steer folks away from the Home-Theater-in-a-Box (HTiB) systems, is that those speakers and receiver may not be compatible with "normal" ones you'll buy separately. Many of the HTiB systems use low-impedance speakers that can't be driven by normal receivers or vice-versa.

You'll probably be looking at a full system upgrade - replacing all of it at the same time (new AVR, separate BD player, and speakers).

Also, from a resale perspective as a way to fund any of this - you'll have to sell that system together anyway if you hope to recoup anything from it...

One way to go from here is to look at the "bundle" offers many retailers use where a "normal" AVR is priced together with 5.1 speakers at a discount.

You'll probably get a lot more advice if you ask and browse in the Receivers forum up a few from here, too.

Jeff

Reactions: MuaySteve

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think most people on here are going to suggest that you upgrade both. From a quick google search it looks like that unit is a HTIB. In the pics that I could find I didn't even see speaker inputs on the box itself. Do the speakers hook in to the back of the sub? If so, I'm not sure you could even hook up better speakers to this. I really doubt that it is pushing anything close to 165w despite what the box says. A decent entry level AVR should blow it out of the water.

The Onkyo you are looking at is nice. I especialy like the built in wifi, which I wish my Denon had.

What type of speakers are you thinking of upgrading to?

Edit: Looks like jautor beat me to the punch while I was typing away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MuaySteve to answer your question, yes, these speakers are hard wired into the back of the unit with open end that plug into the back of each speaker including the sub. I side you both with your doubts that this unit pushes 165W per speaker, i'm sure many manufactures fluff this number for purpose of sale. I also don't care for HTiB as i can't control but so much of the sound.

I think both yourself and Jautor are probably right, in order to get the best sound quality and most control i will need to do a full upgrade.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFlash2012  /t/1521266/speaker-upgrade-or-receiver-upgrade#post_24447287

MuaySteve to answer your question, yes, these speakers are hard wired into the back of the unit with open end that plug into the back of each speaker including the sub. I side you both with your doubts that this unit pushes 165W per speaker, i'm sure many manufactures fluff this number for purpose of sale. I also don't care for HTiB as i can't control but so much of the sound.

I think both yourself and Jautor are probably right, in order to get the best sound quality and most control i will need to do a full upgrade.

It's more than "for the best sound". It sounds like you will need to do speakers to get it to work at all.

If budget is the issue, you might want to try craigslist for some temporary speakers. There are a lot of used speakers out there, and they don't seem to hold value very well. You can get something that will work for under $500 for a 5.1 setup, where new would be as much as $1500 for the same thing.

But those speakers are in danger of not being usable, and even if you can adapt them, you are not going to be happy with the sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts