AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have searched the forums for a few days now and haven't found exactly what I am looking for. I currently have the Energy Take 5's and am looking to possibly upgrade. Nothing is really wrong with the takes, I would just like a little fuller sound coming from the fronts. To my problem. I just bought a new tv stand last year, so I am pretty much stuck with it. The center area for the speaker is only about 18.5" - JUST narrow enough that most center channels won't fit.

I will still use the take 5's as surrounds and since I have been happy with them would like to stay in the energy family. Due to my annoying cabinet size its pretty much the CB-5's and CC-5. Will these even be an upgrade? They kind of seem expensive to me for being "older speakers". Especially when I see posts from three years ago how the CB-5's were $75 a pair. What should I do? Move out of the energy family and do something else? Not sure what other speakers are good that fit my center restriction and would play nice with the energy surrounds and bic f12 sub. Budget is not really set.. obviously nothing crazy maybe around $400 but would love to be way less.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi everyone. I have searched the forums for a few days now and haven't found exactly what I am looking for. I currently have the Energy Take 5's and am looking to possibly upgrade. Nothing is really wrong with the takes, I would just like a little fuller sound coming from the fronts. To my problem. I just bought a new tv stand last year, so I am pretty much stuck with it. The center area for the speaker is only about 18.5" - JUST narrow enough that most center channels won't fit.

I will still use the take 5's as surrounds and since I have been happy with them would like to stay in the energy family. Due to my annoying cabinet size its pretty much the CB-5's and CC-5. Will these even be an upgrade? They kind of seem expensive to me for being "older speakers". Especially when I see posts from three years ago how the CB-5's were $75 a pair. What should I do? Move out of the energy family and do something else? Not sure what other speakers are good that fit my center restriction and would play nice with the energy surrounds and bic f12 sub. Budget is not really set.. obviously nothing crazy maybe around $400 but would love to be way less.
We need to know the full dimensions (width, height, depth) to see what we are working with here. Are you averse to perhaps making your own?

·
Registered
355 Posts

From what I see the woofers on your current speakers are 3", which is quite small. The CB-5s are a little bigger at 4.5", which would likely be a significant upgrade. Personally, I would consider moving to something a little larger, perhaps 5.25" or 6.5". Even with your sub I think it's generally considered best to have something a little beefier to hit hard just above the crossover. If I were in your position I might think about upgrading the mains and then later upgrading the center, since it is considered best to have a matching center (though in my experience not essential). (However, if you care more about HT than music, I suppose you might consider upgrading the center before the mains.)

Some reputable brands available to order online that are frequently recommend on this forum include HSU, Infinity, EMPTek, and Ascend. All these manufacturers make great bookshelf speakers under $400.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry... 18.5" wide. Height and depth aren't really that much of a problem. This is mostly HT use, not music either.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions! Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of NHT... Are they good speakers and a step up from my current energys and the suggested energy's in the original post? Also do I need to worry that the bookshelf speakers will overpower the centers due to the larger drivers? Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of NHT... Are they good speakers and a step up from my current energys and the suggested energy's in the original post? Also do I need to worry that the bookshelf speakers will overpower the centers due to the larger drivers? Thanks for the help again.
NHT (Now Here This), should be an ear and eye opener for you.

NHT has been in business a long time - and are one of the better speakers
around for the money.

The bookshelf will not overpower the center - they are made to work together.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Like Zieg replied, night and day above and beyond your current speakers and the ones you were looking at.

Your AVR has speaker level adjust so that you can tweak the individual speaker output if needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, I think I am set on the superones. Someone else mentioned the infinity's.. I assume NHT will be better? I was digging around on the forum after my list and noticed the many suggestions for the NHT's. One thing I noticed is some people suggest three of the superones instead of a normal center speaker. Obviously this is more appealing due to price but I feel they make center channels for a reason. Any toughts on this?

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
Awesome, I think I am set on the superones. Someone else mentioned the infinity's.. I assume NHT will be better? I was digging around on the forum after my list and noticed the many suggestions for the NHT's. One thing I noticed is some people suggest three of the superones instead of a normal center speaker. Obviously this is more appealing due to price but I feel they make center channels for a reason. Any toughts on this?
The best match is 3 of the same kind - for good overall balance, dimension, imaging
and soundstage presentation.

Horizontal center channels are made for those who do not have the proper space for
the third equal speaker - due to different home arrangements and decorative layouts.
Plus in the early years, people did not want big speakers on top of them old fat CRT
televisions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I guess my next question is, if it's better to get a normal bookshelf speaker and lay it on it's side... are their better speakers for around the same price as the NHT SuperOne 2.1's? Also I should note that they will not be the same height, not sure if that changes things with using the same speakers for the front.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
So I guess my next question is, if it's better to get a normal bookshelf speaker and lay it on it's side... are their better speakers for around the same price as the NHT SuperOne 2.1's?
It depends on the tweeter and its design - some certain designs will not work
as well on its side due to the dispersion pattern, and network design. Some
designs do have an option to rotate the tweeter. The NHT tweeter is fine as is
and can work.

Not easy to trump NHT at its price point - however, it all comes down to preference.

If you want another option to explore, then look at Wave Crest HVL-1
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd rather not do a DIY... if I can just buy another bookshelf I'll probably just go that route.

What would be a better setup... 3 HVL-1's or 3 SuperOne 2.1's?

Too many speaker choices!! Not a bad problem to have though I must say :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd rather not do a DIY... if I can just buy another bookshelf I'll probably just go that route.

What would be a better setup... 3 HVL-1's or 3 SuperOne 2.1's?

Too many speaker choices!! Not a bad problem to have though I must say :)
A frequent lyer on these forums is Dawn Gordon, an authorized NHT dealer. She can generally get better prices on NHT than those listed on their website, but you would lose the free trial period. I got a pair of NHT Absolute Towers and a 2C center a few months ago and am very pleased.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts