AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room surround speakers (front left, front right, and center) are embedded in the sheet rock. Sound is great until my wife decided to mount some heavy decor pieces right over the speakers via a nail right into the sheet rock. The vibration is driving me absolutely in sane. I put small felt furniture pads to remove the vibration of the item against the wall but the nail still vibrates against the metal mounting bracket. Any ideas besides the obvious?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I bet the nails aren't driven into studs. That's probably the reason for the vibration.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519761

I doubt it. Resolution?
Move them to over studs. Aside from the vibration issue nails driven into drywall but not into studs will eventually fall out.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519886

That is the only option?
This is an alternative:

Get used to the fact that 90% of women don't care about what sounds good, only what they think looks good. 90% of the time those two concerns are diametrically opposed.

·
Premium Member
8,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519912

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519886

That is the only option?
This is an alternative:

Get used to the fact that 90% of women don't care about what sounds good, only what they think looks good. 90% of the time those two concerns are diametrically opposed.

LOL

That would work too depending of what is hanging on the wall.

Ray

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519914

Your only other option would be to get a dry-wall screw anckor and use a screw instead of a nail.

$4-5 fix.
From his description the drywall is flexing from the acoustic pressure created by the speaker. A better fastener won't change that. Moving the objects over studs, which won't flex, is the best option.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519446

My living room surround speakers (front left, front right, and center) are embedded in the sheet rock. Sound is great until my wife decided to mount some heavy decor pieces right over the speakers via a nail right into the sheet rock. The vibration is driving me absolutely in sane. I put small felt furniture pads to remove the vibration of the item against the wall but the nail still vibrates against the metal mounting bracket. Any ideas besides the obvious?

Don't know if this will work with your decor piece, but I took care of several large paintings that rattled like crazy (being driven nuts with my subwoofer). I took two strips of masking tape (about a yard long) and rolled them into a semi-loose ball, sticky side outward and affixed those at the bottom corners on the back of my paintings, then pushed the paintings tight to the wall. No problem with rattles now. I also had a metal art piece (four square pieces) that I attached in a diamond pattern with drywall anchors. They didn't rattle, but one would move out of alignment, so I did the same thing there (ball of masking tape).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519928

From his description the drywall is flexing from the acoustic pressure created by the speaker. A better fastener won't change that. Moving the objects over studs, which won't flex, is the best option.

It must be the screw vibrating against the decor's hanging bracket because the vibration goes away when I remove the decor but leave the screw in the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24520031

Don't know if this will work with your decor piece, but I took care of several large paintings that rattled like crazy (being driven nuts with my subwoofer). I took two strips of masking tape (about a yard long) and rolled them into a semi-loose ball, sticky side outward and affixed those at the bottom corners on the back of my paintings, then pushed the paintings tight to the wall. No problem with rattles now. I also had a metal art piece (four square pieces) that I attached in a diamond pattern with drywall anchors. They didn't rattle, but one would move out of alignment, so I did the same thing there (ball of masking tape).

The vibration can't be the corners because I am using felt furniture pads on the lower corners. It must be the screw vibrating against the the metal bracket. The top corners of the decor don't touch the wall as the screw sits out a few cms.

·
Premium Member
8,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519928

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray  /t/1523915/speaker-vibration-driving-me-nuts#post_24519914

Your only other option would be to get a dry-wall screw anckor and use a screw instead of a nail.

$4-5 fix.

I do not disputt your option because I think you are right.

I was just offering a different venue, Lots of glue and screws (over 100) in my Room
to remove any vibration.

Ray

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are my only options glue or going into a stud?

Glue = Decor item is a bit heavy and don't want to damage sheet rock

Stud = Not possible given the location of decor.

There must be a way to put something on the screw or decor item to minimize the vibration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.