AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my research to date, I understand that due to the narrowness of my room (11 feet) and the proximity of my front L & R speakers to the walls (1.5' to 2'), this will likely cause acoustic problems due to modal resonance at lower frequency whereby the walls will essentially act to boost the levels of these lower frequencies, thereby creating unwelcome acoustic problems.

It seems a possible solution would be to treat the walls close to the speakers with something to absorb these lower frequencies.

Can anyone comment on this and the possible solutions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
The primary issue here is boundary effect which has more impact on the mid-range than higher/lower frequencies. You can resolve the issue with appropriate absorption on the boundaries near the speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dennis

Are you suggesting a form of absorption on the wall area adjacent to the speakers (say 4' * 2') or would the treatment have to be more widespread?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dennis,

With regards to the boundry effect & Mid Range problem, what type of mat'l would be used to reduce the mid range? Would Sonex be a good candidate? Or the DIY acoustic panels that are shown on this site?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.