AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on running speaker wire up to my attic and then through part of the wall for my rear surround sound speakers. One of the runs will be around 50 feet. I was just going to get 12 gauge but then I have been reading that if there is a fire, the insurance company wont pay unless you have cl2 or cl3 rated wire? The first link doesnt have cl2 the second does. Anyone have any information about that and what type I should be using?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the insurance aspect is "iffy", but the National Electric Code does require CL2/CL3 wiring if it is placed in a wall. The rating concerns the insulation on the wire and it is a low smoke, low toxicity formula, high temperature resistant covering. Use it where required.

The first wire shown is typical clear PVC insulation wire which is OK for open use in a room. The second wire, notice the outer sheath covering the two conductors, is the proper wire for in-wall use. A slight difference in price, but not worth the risk of adding additional toxic smoke to a possible house fire. I know the wiring is a very small addition to the total combustable fuel load in a typical house fire, but why take the chance.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
All insurance is different. However, when I was running my in-wall wire, my agent and friend said that if there is a fire, and any wiring is found to be against code (which regular speaker wire WOULD BE against code), then there could be problems with the claim. Even if the wire itself wasn't at fault. A grey area to be sure.... but for the difference in price being so miniscule, why take the chance? Go with the CL-2 or CL-3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.