AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some 12 gauge speaker wire that I bought from Lowes and didnt realize until I finished that one conductor was copper colored and the other silver colored. Does this mean that one conductor is steel instead of copper?Could this degrade my performance?I thought $55 for 250ft was a great deal, but if this wire is no good I will rip it out and put better wire in. Thanks a lot! SAM ZEOLI

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Sam,

Not to worry: Very, very likely both are solid copper. It's common practise to color one silver, so you can keep track of what wire is signal and which one is ground. Not sure what they use for the coloring, probably a very thin layer of tin on each strand of the wire. In any case, it has no effect on the resistance of the wire.

You should pat yourself on the back. If you made the connections solidly, your interconnect (to use the fancy term) is just as good as those costing $100 a foot or more. In fact, it's better than many of them....

-Rob-

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
One is just tinned to aid in identification. All of Rop's comments are on the money.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Wait till you get the bill.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Uhh.. SAM.

Something tells me you didn't observe polarity when connecting the cables? Like the copper-colored one always going to the Red terminal, and the silver-colored one always going to the Black terminal?

:eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
"Something tells me you didn't observe polarity when connecting the cables? Like the copper-colored one always going to the Red terminal, and the silver-colored one always going to the Black terminal?"

Are you sure???? I thought it was the other way around!!???

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Doesn't matter so long as it's consistent. I was concerned that you "discovered" the markings after you were finished the job.

How did you stay consistent without using the wire color?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpyre Audio
Out of curiosity, does anyone make real silver wire or silver plated?
Yes...insanely expensive and equally unnecessary. Silver is only a minutia % more conductive than copper and much more prone to oxidation, which hurts connectivity. In fact, it can't really be used at the connection because of this - just the wire portion is plated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.