AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be using an 18 or 16 gauge speaker wire behind a drywall. I've seen the pictures and the types but not exactly what's not too big or too small.

These look perfect but is 7/16" too big for the 18-16 gauge? Or do I need something like a 5/16"?

Will this do for an 18-16gauge? Is 3/4" hole too big?

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Just for reference, I use the standard rubber grommet (like the last pic you have there) for my speaker wire. A ¼ ID grommet (the grommet fits into a 3/8 hole on the cover plate) is big enough to fit my 14-2 speaker wire (this is in wall rated CL2 wire with an additional protective sleeve around the two strands. It's Monoprice wire if you want to look it up.) ¾ for 16 or 18 AWG is way too big.

They have these available at stores like Lowes and HD. I would suggest you go buy a pack of a couple different sizes and use the ones that fit best. They only cost a couple bucks.

-Suntan

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you are just drilling a hole in the drywall and pulling your wire through, you need something with a sleeve like the first two pictures. Unless you can find a rubber grommet which is 1/2" (or 5/8") long, it won't work.

·
Registered
390 Posts
How many wires are you trying to run thru the grommet?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys and ^, just one on each hole. I actually went to lowes today and saw the actual size on the 1st 2 pics and it's a perfect size. I'm going ahead with the type on the 1st pic. Thanks again guys for helping out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.