AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got speaker wire coming out of the wall, directly behind my On-wall speakers, and I'm just wondering if anyone makes a plug or some way to pretty up the spot where the wire comes out? It'd need to be flush with the wall, as I said the speaker mounts right over that spot.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
If it's behind the speaker, why bother? Is anyone going to see it?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
If it's behind the speaker, why bother? Is anyone going to see it?
Sorry to disagree, but I feel the same as Ed. I'd also want to have things 'clean', so I'll try and help.

Have a look at the wall plates and Parts Express if you want to plug bananas into the wall. Maybe you could use a phone jack wall plate, but instead pass speaker wire through the hole for a more direct connection... These may not be flush against the wall, but it's a start.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Wow I was wondering the same thing the other day when hanging my 4 Axiom Qs8's. I recently remodeled my basement and pre-ran the wires to their current location before the drywall was finished. Now I have 4 holes about the size of a penny with 12 gauge wire hanging down through each hole. My first thought is to look for some black grommets that I could run the wire through and then stick in the hole. I'll let you know what i figure out..

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Duct tape ! :cool: :D :cool:

No, seriously.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've used a 2x4 handy box cover plate, with a 1/2" knockout hole, along with a 1/2" romex connector. Just screw the plate into the wall with anchors/screws. At your local Home Depot/Lowes/etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Drill a small hole in your speaker mount, pull the speaker cable through, cover the hole with the mount and make that hole disappear...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Okay, let's get this straight. I read the OP as saying that the speaker mounts to the wall and covers the hole. Half you people seem to read it as if the hole is exposed, as in feeding floorstanders.

Which is it?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven
I've got speaker wire coming out of the wall, directly behind my On-wall speakers, and I'm just wondering if anyone makes a plug or some way to pretty up the spot where the wire comes out? It'd need to be flush with the wall, as I said the speaker mounts right over that spot.
Are the wire police coming to your house?? :eek:

I do not mean to be sarcastic, but if the speaker is covering the hole, whats the problem? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
speaking of speaker wiring, I need HELP connecting, someone please help. I just bought a new Onkyo receiver where the back has 8 ports for the front speakers...L red, R white, L red, R white, with black negatives below each. My KEF floor speakers have 4 ports in each one, black - LF, black - HF, red HF +, red LF +...im confused, can someone please tell me where to connect all this wiring...THANKS A MILLION!!!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Jungar, the speakers "ports" are hooked together with metal jumpers. The speakers only have two "ports" each. (We call them "connectors.)

For the receiver, read your manual.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by max190
Are the wire police coming to your house?? :eek:

I do not mean to be sarcastic, but if the speaker is covering the hole, whats the problem? :confused:
The speaker mount isn't completely sealed against the wall (athena technologies ws-60), and I don't like the idea of the hole being open for things to crawl in and out of. Also, if I ever sell the house and take my speakers with me, it's going to look quite bad without a clean looking plug.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
The speaker mount isn't completely sealed against the wall (athena technologies ws-60), and I don't like the idea of the hole being open for things to crawl in and out of. Also, if I ever sell the house and take my speakers with me, it's going to look quite bad without a clean looking plug.

If those are your concerns...

(1) Use a bit of caulk to plug the hole now.

(2) If you move, a bit of joint compound over the hole will look a lot better than some random plug/outlet/whatever in the middle of the wall.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
All I can find is black, and for RG-6 cable... close though.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=180-225
That's exactly what I use for my wall mounted rears. Not perfectly 'flush' like you mentioned, but looks cleaner than a jaggedy hole in the dry wall. Depending on the gauge of wire, there should be minimal space for creatures to crawl through. If you're real anal about that, squeeze some caulking in to fill in the miniscule gaps.

As for any remaining holes when you move, I doubt a couple measly holes would kill a home sale. Plus, nothing that $5 worth of wall compound and paint can't hide.

I'd advise against wall plates if you're really worried popping/patching larger holes in your drywall (a little trickier to patch larger holes, but nothing $10 worth of patching material can't fix either).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I guess I misread your original post. Looks like you don't wanna run wire through the hole. In that case, just patch it. If it's a fairly large hole (e.g. > ping pong ball), there's drywall patching kits that're easy to use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.