AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver, Polk Audio Monitor 50 front speakers, Polk Audio RM6751 rear surround sound speakers and a Polk Audio PSW10 powered subwoofer.

What gauge speaker wire should I use and what type of cable should I use to hook up the subwoofer?

The receiver has two subwoofer outputs. The sub has what looks like a red right input and white left input, do I use both of the inputs on the sub and then a Y connector to the receiver?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudddvayne /forum/post/18178748

I have an Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver, Polk Audio Monitor 50 front speakers, Polk Audio RM6751 rear surround sound speakers and a Polk Audio PSW10 powered subwoofer.

What gauge speaker wire should I use and what type of cable should I use to hook up the subwoofer?

The receiver has two subwoofer outputs. The sub has what looks like a red right input and white left input, do I use both of the inputs on the sub and then a Y connector to the receiver?

For speaker wire go to the BJC link on this forum. I use the 12 ga twisted.

You can also buy sub cable from them.

Check the sub manual as to connecting the sub. Some subs have to have a coax cable to both L/R inputs for full power. You use one cable and a coax Y to connect to both sides of the sub.

Other subs its one side or the other.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You don't need 12 gauge speaker wire for any of your polk speakers. If anything 16 to 14 gauge good quality wire will work.

As far as a sub line , only use one sub out no Y cables. Run a good quality line level RCA cable from your Sub out to your sub LFE in or LEFT in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might be an important question.

Should I use banana plugs? Does using banana plugs rather than no plugs (just connect bare wire) make a difference in sound quality?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudddvayne /forum/post/18180727

Great. Thanks for the replies.

Where do most people place the sub in their set up?

Sub placement varies greatly, but I would say most people have subs in corners of the room. You should perform a crawl test with your sub, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudddvayne /forum/post/18180742

This might be an important question.

Should I use banana plugs? Does using banana plugs rather than no plugs (just connect bare wire) make a difference in sound quality?

Banana plugs don't offer any acoustic benefit, but it makes it easier to handle your speaker wire if you switch equipment/wire/placement, etc often. Also, They look nicer ;-)

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/18180243

You don't need 12 gauge speaker wire for any of your polk speakers. If anything 16 to 14 gauge good quality wire will work.

This would depend on how long the length of your speaker wire is. If your lengths are less than 15ft, 14 or 16AWG will be fine. if it's more, I'd suggest going with 12AWG. There's a site somewhere with a chart, but I can't remember it right now...

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Banana plugs get loose (mechanical stress) and more resistive (oxidation) over time and don't make as good a connection even when new (unless you use the expanding kind and install on the wire and in the receiver carefully). Just use bare wire and save the $$$.

Considering the cost difference at monprice between 16 gauge and 12 gauge I'd go with 12 and keep the damping factor as high as possible, but for small'ish speakers it won't really matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 20 x 14 carpeted room> I want to buy a mid price receiver that I can use with my existing speakers. I will use the system mostly for movies and music and want the option to have second zone capability. (remote speakers on the patio). I currently have the following: 2 new floor standing JBL Balboa's with 6" 3 way woofer/4" mid and 3/4 Titanium Dome Tweeter.

Boston CS 225C center speaker and I have not decided yet on the speakers for the rear.

I am looking at the Pioneer 1019AH-K but the set up sounds difficult...I am a babe in the woods when it comes to this and I would appreciate any help (especially from someone that is not out to sell me something)...THANKS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts