AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few years ago when an audiophile friend was setting up his surround he was saying that the speaker wire to each speaker needed to be the same length due to that there may be a minor delay if the runs were longer. So if I have a 5' cable going to my fronts and a 15' cable going to my rears the sound my get to the fronts slightly faster than the other speakers. In an attempt to not embarrass myself too much here, is there any real truth to this? If so, is it anything I would even notice?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If there is any delay, it's probably in nanoseconds or something humans won't notice.

I have runs of three feet and more than thirty feet. No delays.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Speakers out of position by several feet can make a difference from a phase standpoint. Wires that are 100 feet longer will make no difference with respect to audio signals. One has to do with the speed of sound in air and the other with the speed of a signal on a wire and the latter is closer to the speed of light. At Giga hertz frequencies, we are concerned about these differences. At audio frequencies it is not an issue.

..Doyle

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Signal propagation is copper wire is about 2/3 the speed of light or 200,000,000 m/s or about 0.000000005 sec/meter, just to give it number. Some audiophiles claim to hear that and the angels' voices clearly. Just as clearly they, unlike you, never thought to ask.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer /forum/post/0

Ok, so a few years ago when an audiophile friend was setting up his surround he was saying that the speaker wire to each speaker needed to be the same length due to that there may be a minor delay if the runs were longer.

LOL.
Not really an audiophile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.