Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I'm over analyzing this:

I'm going to run in wall speaker wire for my new basement HT. Dimensions of 17'x22'. I plan on going with the Rocket ELT setup, or something in that category of speakers.

I was surprised to see the large price diff on all the different wire available. Of course, I'm assuming a cl3 rated wire, at probably 14awg. I figure the longest length run of wire will be ~30'.

Now, here's the question. Do the lengths to all speakers in a 5.1 setup need to be exactly the same? I would guess the center and fronts would be 30', but the rears could be somewhat shorter(but equal to each other) without problem. Any thoughts?

I'm skeptical that Monster Cable and the like are worth all that extra cash. Feedback?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frostlich
Perhaps I'm over analyzing this:

Now, here's the question. Do the lengths to all speakers in a 5.1 setup need to be exactly the same? I would guess the center and fronts would be 30', but the rears could be somewhat shorter(but equal to each other) without problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris
No, speaker wire does not have to be the same length.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to spend a lot of money on speaker cable. Go get some 12 (or even 14 gauge) wire from Home Depot. Be sure it is rated for in-wall use. Parts Express sells some in-wall rated cable as well.

Different lengths of wire is not a problem. You would need to move your head 1/1000 of a millimeter to compensate for the electrical timing mismatch...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS! Kinda what I figured at those freqs and wavelengths. Ditto on the pricey cables too.

Researching this too much sometimes makes my head spin a little, so its great to read a confirming thought or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.