AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever I see a speaker wire thread I run away fast... but just this one more question. I'm using 12 awg wire running about 6 feet to the FL C FR, and about 20+ to the rears, does this matter? Should all of the runs be identical length?

·
Registered
16,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj /forum/post/0

.................does this matter? Should all of the runs be identical length?

It doesn't matter. The signal travels through the wire so fast that any difference in length is completely negligible.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Different lengths is generally fine. I would avoid severely different lengths for the left and right speakers in any position -- for example 20' LF and 4' RF would be less than ideal. But different lengths for the surrounds versus the fronts is no problem. The most noticeable difference from a long run is that the channel might play softer. But you will adjust that out when you set the channel trims anyway (play test tones, use SPL meter and adjust all the trims so the speakers all play at the same volume level), so it is not a problem.

-Max

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Yeah, don't worry about the differing lengths. The only reason I try to keep the lengths the same is because I don't want to cut them up in case I need them later for something else (I'm always moving and trying speakers in differing locatuions)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/0

i always leave a couple of feet extra should i want to rearrange .

same here.

I have a different q regarding this stuff. My surround speakers have a detectable "hissssss" during HT enjoyment, and I have ameliorated this by angling them away from the listening position. It's not too bad, but I could notice it sometimes easily. Would improving upon my 16 gauge wire for about 30-40 ft runs make any difference for this. Or is this due to other things, such as quality of source, metal tweeter, etc?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The signal traveling via the speaker wire is at the "speed of light" or 186,000 miles per second. In other words, you have no worries and it is fine to have different lengths, even if your mains are at 4ft versus 20ft as Max stated.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/0

same here.

I have a different q regarding this stuff. My surround speakers have a detectable "hissssss" during HT enjoyment, and I have ameliorated this by angling them away from the listening position. It's not too bad, but I could notice it sometimes easily. Would improving upon my 16 gauge wire for about 30-40 ft runs make any difference for this. Or is this due to other things, such as quality of source, metal tweeter, etc?

it will probably be a low signal to noise in the amp or level is very high.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRey /forum/post/0

12AWG for 40 feet seems like overkill to me...16AWG would be fine IMO.

a lot of speaker mfg. will recomend 12 for runs of 30 and over.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/0

it will probably be a low signal to noise in the amp or level is very high.

Thanks for the reply oztech.

Any experience with a NAD T973?

·
Registered
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/0

I would avoid severely different lengths for the left and right speakers in any position -- for example 20' LF and 4' RF would be less than ideal.

-Max

Can you better explain why? Can different gauge wire compensate for longer run between L and R ch?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack /forum/post/0

The signal traveling via the speaker wire is at the "speed of light" or 186,000 miles per second. In other words, you have no worries and it is fine to have different lengths, even if your mains are at 4ft versus 20ft as Max stated.

While plenty fast, it is not the speed of light.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Which depends on the medium it's in, right?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts