AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read someones website wher he used a very thick cable that had 4 wires in it. 14 guage each I am sure.

So I got a little bug and decided to make my own speaker wires (mainly b/c I just spent 60 dollars on some monster cable which I ran inside the walls before my house was built and I will probably not use it since it is about 16-18 guage wire).

First thing I did was go to Home Depot and all they had was this 4/14 portable cable wire which is used to hook up small appliances and such.

The wire colors are red, black, white, and green. I try to find info on the web but was unsuccesfull so now I ask you guys.

Basically I cut about 6 inches of the outer sleeve off and twisted two pairs of wires together, black with red and green with white. They were opposite if that matters. Then I got some banana plugs (Monster) and put them on the end making sure I was consistent with my color matchups. Oh yeah, I used shrink tubing to make it all look nice and finished.

Any one heard of this before? Would this work out better than 16 guage monster cable? I did it for looks, cost, and hoping it would be equal or better than ordinary 12 guage.

I spent alot of work on this but havent tried it out yet. I just want to hear some feedback before I try this on my new H/K 8000 and Rockets.

Thank you,

Rafael

·
Registered
404 Posts
ive used 12x4 from home depot for biwire in a friends system works fine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks just wanted to make sure that it was ok.

I am a total newby at this and did this project only on a vague

memory of that website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.